Chapter Forty

Time goes by as Luna trains everyday with the assassins. She opens up, becoming more outgoing and friendly.
Cethin, Eli, and Jax grow close to her through their lessons.
As the assassins become settled in, Xal, Petunia, and Riddle are assigned to recruit and train rookies.

Luna trains again with Eli in a field.
Cethin and Jax watch from the sidelines. Jax ruffles his fingers through his curly hair, keeping his eyes on the training.

"Hiya!" Luna kicks Eli's padded hands.
Sweat drips down her face and neck as she works hard to improve herself.
She swiftly punches Eli's hand, quickly sweeping her leg against the ground, tripping him.
"Oy! Don't go off script like that! You could have killed me!" Eli scolds, sitting up.
"You're so dramatic. I simply tripped you. You're an awful assassin if that's all it takes to kill you." Luna giggles, helping him up.
"With boney arms like hers, she couldn't even kill a fly." Jax teases.
"Hey, I'm still growing stronger from training! Sorry if I'm unable to grow large muscles like yours." Luna exclaims, throwing her glove at Jax.
"See? Didn't even hurt."
"You know what? I wanna train with you then. You should get padded up!" Luna smiles, excited.
Jax stares down at her and rolls his eyes.
"No." He bluntly replies.
"What? How come?"
"I don't do this kind of thing. I trained to be a front line warrior in Xiao. I use weapons most of the time."
"Then let's have a fight with weapons!"
"You aren't ready for that yet. Calm down Chicky, you'll learn how to fight with Jax's style later." Cethin cuts in laughing, amused by Luna's expression.
"I guess I have no choice but to be patient." Luna sighs, stretching her legs.

"Are you having fun?"
Luna turns around to see Emperor Cabel.
He walks, accompanied by government officials. Lance follows behind, along with other butlers.
"Ca- Your highness, yes. I'm having lots of fun! Cethin, and Eli have been teaching me kindly."
"That's good to hear. I should go, but continue with your training."
"Yes, your highness. Oh, will I be joining you for dinner tonight?"
"No, I'm afraid I'm busy again this week. I'll see you soon, once I find the time." Emperor Cabel smiles as he cups Luna's cheek.
"I'll have to go, take care of her." He speaks to the assassins.
"Of course!" Cethin salutes playfully, grinning.
Emperor Cabel smiles again at Luna before walking away.
Luna sighs pleasantly, watching Emperor Cabel leave as he speaks with the government officials.
"Was that a sigh of 'love'?" Cethin scruffs up Luna's hair, poking fun of her.
"What? You're crazy, I'm just tired." Luna fixes her hair, rolling her eyes.
"Enough we have to go through our training again." Eli scoffs, pulling Cethin by the back collar of his shirt.
"Ack! You're gonna choke me to death, wait!-" Cethin's dragged by Eli, attempting to loosen his shirt by the neck.
"Shut up, you know this doesn't hurt." Eli rolls his eyes.
Luna follows them, giggling as she watches them bicker.

"Your highness, are you feeling okay? I can bring you some more medicine, if you'd like?" Lance places a cup of tea in front of Emperor Cabel.
He sighs and sits back, leaning on the arm rest.
"I'm fine. That medicine's pointless. It just stops the pain, but it comes back after. I can just build my tolerance to the pain instead."
"Your highness, sometimes that's all medicine can do... A royal healer can help much more."
"I'm strong enough to handle something small like this. My energy's coming back, soon my body will begin to heal itself again."
"If you insist, your highness."
Emperor Cabel sighs, loosening his collar as he slips off his jacket.
He turns to look outside.
Cabel watches Luna and Eli train in the distance, watching her bicker with Cethin.
He smiles to himself, gazing fondly.
"Your highness, how come you lied about being too busy?" Lance stares out the window, looking to where Emperor Cabel stares, "You usually tell her to read while you work, plus you don't have meetings for the next few days..."
"She makes a worried face... It's comedic when she makes that face but... It upsets me when she looks that distressed. If she spent time with me now, she'll worry about my health and make a funny little face like she wants to cry." Emperor Cabel scoffs, snickering lightly, "It's funny to see how much she cares about me."
"Isn't that great though? This means she possibly likes you more than Hayden."
"I can't be too sure yet... Has any guard reported anyone suspicious recently?" Emperor Cabel turns to look at Lance.
Lance shakes his head.
"No, your highness. Other than new trainees with the assassins, it's fairly quiet."
"How unsettling." Emperor Cabel thinks to himself, glancing back at Luna.