Chapter Twenty-Three

"What's the meaning behind this?" Emperor Cabel shouts, throwing the letter, "She refused to come?"
"Your highness, I'm sure she has her reasons." Lance speaks as he stands by the desk.
Emperor Cabel laughs lightly, amused.
"That woman, how interestingly bold of her. I could force her here right now if I wanted to."
"Why haven't you, your highness?" Emperor Cabel glances at Lance, "Your highness, you have the authority over all things in the empire, yet with her you haven't punished her nor have you used your authority to make her meet with you."
Emperor Cabel stands in front of the window, staring at the distant library.
"I want to keep her in my sight... Yet if I push too hard, it feels like she'll disappear from beyond my reach. I want to kill her, but something screams in my mind forbidding me from doing so."
"Your highness, have you taken a liking to her? You don't wish to hurt her, but your mind has made it seem like these feelings aren't normal. That you wish to kill her to rid yourself of these feelings, when you just miss her."
Emperor Cabel thinks to himself.
He sighs, staring at the lights of the library.
"These feelings... Are unsettling. She smiles and laughs so uniquely, it makes me feel light. Yet it angers me that she's unable to open herself to me. With Hayden she's warm and welcoming. I want her to look at me as she does when speaking to Hayden, yet that look of hers seems reserved only for him."
"Then you must make it so she's warm towards you as well. It may seem redundant, but you can see it as a way for yourself to feel connected. Not just feeling as though Hayden's connected to her, while you're unable to join. If you miss Lady Luna, you can apologize and talk about what happened last time. She'll surely be understanding and talk through the problem with you."
"Hm..." Emperor Cabel scoffs, "Since when have you grown into such a romantic? You've gotten wiser."
Emperor Cabels lips curl into a small grin.
"Thank you, your highness."

"Have you found anything?" Renesha asks a maid.
"Yes, my lady. It's rumoured how her previous kingdom was corrupt. Apparently her mother and father had mistreated her. A guard said when they saw her first arrive here, she was starved and injured. Another guard who went with his highness, told him she was found chained up in a dungeon."
Renesha's lips curl into an amused smile, a look of excitement growing in her eyes.
"Wonderful. Let's begin our plan, shall we?" She giggles ecstatically.

Luna sits in her bedroom, watching the snow melt.
The warmth of the sun seeps in through the windows.
She sighs as she closes her eyes, basking in the warmth of the sunlight.
"It feels like spring's around the corner."
Luna looks down in front of her, staring at ten more invitations from the emperor.
She frowns as she stares at the wax seals.
The door opens and Magnolia enters carrying a tray.
She sets a cup down, with slightly shaking hands as she tries to place the cakes.
"Have your injuries been healing?" Luna asks.
"Y-Yes my lady..." Magnolia avoids looking at her as she pours the tea.
"... There's another letter, isn't there?..." Luna asks with a pained look.
Magnolia nods slowly, reaching into her apron to pull out another letter.
She hands it to Luna.
Luna sighs, dropping it on the table with the other envelopes and looks at Magnolia.
"Where's your other injury?..." Luna asks, analyzing her face.
Magnolia hesitates. She pulls up her sleeve, revealing a gash and bruising on her forearm.
Luna sighs, taking the ointment off her table.
She sits Magnolia down in a chair, applying the cream.
"P-Please don't hate the emperor..." Magnolia quietly says.
"You're a child, yet he continues to harm you. It angers me to even think of him."
"H-He still didn't do anything wrong..."
"Maggie, you're covered in injuries. That's not acceptable."
"But..." Magnolia goes quiet with a guilty look on her face.
Luna stares at her expression.
"... Is there something you're hiding?"
Magnolia shakes her head and smiles.
"I-I'm sorry, my lady... I've made you worry."
"Don't be sorry, I want to make sure you're okay."