Chapter Fifty-Eight

Emperor Cabel sits in his office, stamping documents. Duke Oslo sits across him, scanning over papers.
"Your highness, there's been talk of the Lancaster Kingdom uniting with the Shanti kingdom for a rebellion, if candidates are not chosen soon." Duke Oslo places a letter on the desk.
"Marriage talk again?" Emperor Cabel scoffs.
He takes the letter reading it.
"Your highness, why not ask Lady Luna? She was a princess, has the proper mannerisms, and is very intelligent. Regardless of her story, she is a very intelligent girl who'd do well to help the empire. They can be upset if their princesses aren't chosen, but they can't simply ruin the relationship with the empire if you choose Lady Luna."
Emperor Cabel sighs, staring at the letter he's thrown on his desk.
"No." He responds.
"P-Pardon?" Duke Oslo stares, surprised by his bluntness, "Your highness, if she won't do as empress I highly doubt you'll find anyone you like, who can become a proper royal."
"There's no evidence she is able to hold that throne."
"Your highness, she is a neutral person, who would understand the people in a way nobles can't. She may not have been raised to become an empress, but she's studious and will learn over time."
"Is there a reason you're pushing for her to become empress so hard, or are you just naturally interested in affairs that aren't your own?
"Your highness, I am your subordinate and the duke of this empire. I know what the empire needs and am merely giving advice to help you."
"It's been years since I rose to the throne without a queen or empress. For me to continue running the empire this way is fine."
Duke Oslo sighs, rubbing his forehead.
"Your highness, you will need a successor. It can be a marriage of love or politics, but people could look down upon Cypheler if we never have a mother for the empire. Who will lead the empire after you pass? You'll need a wife to have a successor."
Emperor Cabel takes a deep breath, thinking to himself as he leans against his hand.
"Is there a reason you don't wish to marry Lady Luna? You've confessed your feelings, have you not?" Duke Oslo cocks his head.
"I have. I told her I love her."
Duke Oslo stares at Emperor Cabel, his eyes enlarged as he looks at him shocked.
"Don't sit there slack jawed duke." Emperor Cabel scoffs, standing up as he walks over to his liquor cart.
"Forgive me, I just never thought you'd say it out loud like that."
Emperor Cabel pours an aged rum into two glasses. He adds a few droplets of water, swirling the glasses and handing Duke Oslo one.
Emperor Cabel smells the rum, taking in the scent before sipping it.
"I love her..." Emperor Cabel states, emptily staring down at his glass, "But she hasn't told her feelings to me."
"She hasn't?..." Duke Oslo looks at him, confused.
"No... All she mentioned was that she couldn't tell me her feelings before I died. I assumed she would tell me her feelings when we returned from Avris, but now that we've returned, she's grown distant."
"Distant how?"
"She has a troubled expression at times, I don't know what it means and... She's forced herself into a position uncomfortable for her, even when she looked ready to cry and trembled like a leaf. Something's wrong but she's hiding it from me. My concern is if she found out about what the other kingdoms have done."
"I doubt she knows, you did a incredible job keeping that is the shadows... She may have a lot on her mind... I actually spoke with her recently."
"Recently?"
"Yes... After the training field accident, I heard shouting and ran over to see she was bleeding. I brought her back to my office and bandaged her up. We talked a bit and I think she's more concerned with you not fully loving her."
"How absurd. One time in my life I say 'love' and she dismisses it." Emperor Cabel scoffs, downing the rest of the fine liquor.
"It's not like that, your highness. She merely knows her boundaries and believes you're not able to fuly love her, due to your position."
"I see. For now let me think of a solution to shut those old men up first." Emperor Cabel sighs, placing the empty glass down.

Luna walks down the hallways, she stands in front of Emperor Cabel's office.
She knocks lightly.
The door opens and Emperor Cabel looks down at her.
"Hello..." She mumbles.
"Come in."
She follows him inside the office, noticing two used glasses.
"Is someone here? Am I interrupting?" She asks.
"The duke was here, but he just left. Come, sit." Emperor Cabel sits down on the sofa, pointing to the sofa across him.
Luna sits politely on the sofa, looking back at Emperor Cabel.
"What are your thoughts on marriage?" Emperor Cabel abruptly asks.
Luna's eyes widen, she stares dumbfounded at him.
"Marriage?..."
"Yes."
"Why do you ask?"
"Because I want to know your thoughts on it."
"Well..." Luna thinks to herself, confused, "I think it's a beautiful thing for two people in love."
"What are your thoughts on marrying me?"
"You?" Luna's eyes widen more.
She thinks to herself, unable to answer.
"I... I'm not sure, why do you ask?"
"How would you feel about marrying me? It's a simple question."
"Cabel... It's not as simple as you think."
"You and I have feelings for each other, why not?"
"Because... I don't know enough about you. Marriage is difficult."
"Well, I want to marry you. However considering the circumstances, you would just be the queen."
"A queen?"
"You'll be able to have more authority and live as royalty, and not be known as just a concubine."
Luna looks down at her lap.
"What's the reason your thought process has reached that?" She asks, slightly biting her lower lip.
"Politics. I've been told to marry for so long and I have a concubine who can be of use to me."
"Of use to you?" Luna looks back at Emperor Cabel and scoffs, "Is that all I am, just useful?"
"Well yes." Emperor Cabel stares blankly at her, his expression calm and serious.
"I humbly reject your offer then."
Luna stands up and sighs.
"Reject? Why is that? We have feelings for each other, no?" Emperor Cabel stands, confused.
"Yes, I care for you and am so grateful to you, but a marriage meant for politics and not love, is something I don't wish for."
"Regardless, if we marry in the future it will be for both, love and politics."
"But do you know how to properly love someone?" Luna stares at him, her eyes dimly glowing.
Emperor Cabel looks back at her, thinking to himself.
Luna sighs.
"I was taught to be a good daughter, not about how to love someone. Though I'm certain I have feelings for you, knowing I will have to marry you to be 'of use to you', is not preferable when I wish to live a life I found." Luna scoffs.
"You're already my concubine, what more can you do?"
Luna slightly glares back at him, her emotions boiling inside of her.
"I might be your concubine, but that does not mean I have to set aside the things I wish to do, just to fit your needs."
"I can take everything you want away. I'm the reason you're able to live well. If you become queen you will be taken care of more."
"I'm tired, I'm returning to my room." Luna briskly walks to the office doors, opening them.
Emperor Cabel slams his hand against the door, slamming it shut, trapping her as he abruptly appears behind her.
Luna jumps, turning around shocked.
"I want to talk about this more." His deep voice growls.
"I do not. I came to apologize for last night, but it seems you owe me an apology."
"An apology? For being rejected by you? Has it dawned on you, you never once spoke about your feelings to me?" Emperor Cabel's brows furrow as he glares down at her.
"That's irrelevant if I'm upset."
"Upset. Is that what you would call it?"
"Yes, your highness. You hold yourself as a strong great emperor, yet you can't even fathom why I rejected your marriage offer or why I haven't been able to be honest with you?"
"Enough, I won't tolerate you speaking to me in such a way."
"If that's the case then, no. I don't love you."
"You don't love me?" Emperor Cabel scowls, scoffing.
"I'm grateful for everything you've done for me and I care for you greatly, but to stand here and not acknowledge my words as a person of equal standing to you, that is not love. So we're at an agreement, neither of us fully love each other it seems."
"I've told you how I felt-"
"Yet you look at me and say you won't accept my way of speaking to you? That's not love, that's a facade played by emotions. If it were love, me being honest to you would be accepted and understood, not told to be silenced or that it's displeasing."
Emperor Cabel looks down at Luna as her eyes glow brightly, her aura growing wild, filling the room.
"I've told you before that if you wish to execute me, I'll gladly hold my neck out for you. However, I will not accept your wish of me being a quiet obedient lady, who accepts your every demand."
Luna stares back at Emperor Cabel, his expression scowling and confused.
She pushes him back slightly and curtsies.
"May glory of Helios rest upon you, your highness."
Luna glares at him, leaving his office.