B.2 Chapter Seventy-Four

I turn, looking to see Cabel and Lance, watching worried.
I throw up again, feeling my stomach tighten as the nausea returns.

"What did you do?" Cabel's deep, intimidating voice shouts.
I feel Sylvan's hand tremble as it rests my back.
"C-Cabel, she didn't do anything. I-I've just been stressed lately." I speak up, taking a deep breath.
Lance rushes to pour a glass of water.
Cabel's instantly kneeled in front of me. He removes his handkerchief, wiping my mouth.
"Stressed? Have these stupid traditions been too much? Lance, cancel the ball-" Cabel worriedly speaks, angry.
"No, no. It's not the traditions. I think it's just so close to the wedding that I'm nervous." I explain, giving him a reassuring smile.
I drink some water, feeling it soothe my throat and stomach.
I rinse my mouth from the bitter stomach acid taste, until Lance wipes my hands and mouth.
"Are you sure? We can cancel the ball if you're too overwhelmed." Cabel wipes my eyes from the built up tears.
"No, it's okay. I may need a moment before going though. I'm sorry." I smile, gazing back at him.
"Don't apologize. You can take as long as you need."
Cabel looks over at Sylvan, his eyes wary.
"Cabel, this is Sylvan... She was my maid in Avris. She's very special to me." I quickly explain.
"Oh... She's from Avris?" Emperor Cabel repeats.
"Yes, forgive me, your highness. I'm Captain Sylvan Karvos, originally from Kingdom Brisia." Sylvan stands, giving a formal knights bow.
"Duke Karvos's family?" Emperor Cabel asks.
"Yes. I'm Duke Karvos's younger sister." Sylvan speaks.
"I see." Cabel looks back at me and smiles, "I apologize, but would you like to attend our ball tonight? It's short notice, but we can prepare attire for you, if you'd like to change."
"Oh..." Sylvan looks back at me and Cabel, smiling, "I''m honoured, but I'm afraid I'll have to decline."
"Decline?" Cabel raises a brow.
"I apologize, but it's a celebration for Lady Luna and your highness. It wouldn't be right to attend-"
"My fiancée said you were someone who's special to her. This ball is intended for those close to us. If you mean enough to my fiancée, to have her call you someone special, it'd only be right for you to attend."
Sylvan pauses, she looks back at me and Cabel until a small calm smile appears on her lips.
"I would be honoured to attend..." Sylvan bows her head.
"Lance, prepare attire for the captain."
"Yes, your highness." Lance bows.
"It's okay. I don't need any special treatment, my uniform is fine for me."
"You're an honoured guest. Appropriate attire will be provided. Lance, escort the captain to a guest room, find her attire that will suit her. It seems I should bring my fiancée back to rest first." Cabel speaks, wrapping his arms around me.
"Ah! Cabel? I can walk!" I exclaim, surprised and embarrassed.
"You're sick, it'll be better if I quickly brought you back, instead of you walking in pain. Lance?" Cabel sternly speaks.
"Yes, your highness. Lady Sylvan, please follow me." Lance speaks, bowing his head.
"S-Sylvan! I'll meet you in the ball, please wait for me!" I call out as Cabel quickly exits the parlour.

Cabel sets me down on the bed, touching my forehead.
"You don't seem to have a fever." Cabel speaks.
"Cabel, my powers would heal me if something was wrong. I told you, it's just stress." I give him a small smile.
He looks back into my eyes, sighing.
"But why?... Do you regret marrying me so soon? We can reschedule the wedding-"
"No, not at all... I think it was just overwhelming that I couldn't see you... I'm nervous for our wedding, but I'm excited for it too... It was just difficult because when I was anxious or nervous, I couldn't see you during the day... And then I'd be alone at night too..." I mumble, cupping his cheek.
He sighs, leaning his head against my shoulder.
"Luna... You worry me every second. Should I cancel the custom, and be with you until our wedding?" He gently asks.
"No, it's alright. After our wedding, we'll have a month trip together. I can wait, but I just hoped to see you once this week."
"I'm sorry... I wish I could have seen you this week too. Those annoying pests decided to come up with a bunch of pointless things to sign off on."
"Hm... Oh, that's right, did you have a chance to talk to the health research department?"
"Yes, they said they'll schedule a day for the exam. I made sure to specify that the marking process would be done by unbiased workers that Lord Christopher chooses."
"Okay, good."
"I still don't understand why you decided to ask for this as a 'wedding gift'. I could give you thousands of necklaces and rings that could make your eyes spin." Cabel gazes up at me, confused.
"I told you, I have no need for that many luxuries. I would rather ensure the citizens, commoners or nobles, will all be given a chance... Plus, this is the only piece of jewellery, I will ever need." I smile, holding out my left hand, the engagement ring glistening.
Cabel scoffs, gazing up at me sweetly. He takes my hand, kissing my ring finger lightly.
"What about the wedding band?" He cheekily grins.
"Well that too... But your ring to me will be all I ever need."
"If you say so. If you ever change your mind, I'll buy every mine in sight to make you any accessory you want."
I shake my head, giggling.
I wrap my arms around his neck.
"You're spouting nonsense now. I'll never need that much... All I need is you..." I smile, gazing down at him.
He smiles back sweetly, leaning close as he kisses me.
"Mm, Cabel?" I call out, trying to break away from his kiss.
"Hm?" He responds, continuing to kiss me.
"I feel better now, I think- Mmph- I think we should make our entrance." I speak, struggling as he cuts me off with his kisses.
He pulls away gazing down at me.
"Are you sure you feel better?"
"I'm sure. I told you it's only stress, but I feel better after talking with you." I smile, hugging him again.
He nuzzles his face into my neck.
"If you say so. We'll barely have time to enjoy ourselves together, once we get down there though."
"That's okay. This is mostly a ball for our friends to celebrate with us." I grin, shrugging.
"Alright, come." Cabel stands, holding his hand out.
He pulls me up, wrapping an arm around my waist.

We walk down to the ballroom, my heartbeat quickening.
I take a deep breath.
"Keep your head held up high. You're on the great Emperor Cabel's side." Cabel arrogantly speaks, joking around.
I nod, giggling as I look back at his confident expression.
He nods to the announcer.
Butlers open the doors leading into the ballroom.

"His royal highness, the sun of the empire, Emperor Cabel, as well as our future moon and empress, Princess Luna Avri."
The announcer calls out.
We step inside the ballroom to hear the guests clap until bowing.
I look back at Cabel who flashes a confident, amused grin.
He leads me down the stairs as nobles and our close friends, wait in the ballroom for us.