Chapter Ninety-One

Cabel and I stare out the window to watch Ming and Canella, holding hands as they walk through the gardens.
"You're a scoundrel." I mutter, looking up at him.
"Why's that?"
"You let me worry and think that you were seeing other ladies... There's something I'm still concerned about."
"What is it?"
"What position will I be if I marry you?"
"An empress of course." Cabel scoffs, shrugging.
"If you're still certain with that position being mine... I know you'll have to bring in a queen and concubines... I know I'll be bothered by that, so I hope you can promise that you'll be discreet if you-"
I'm cut off as Cabel kisses me deeply.
I pant, overwhelmed by his sudden rough kiss.
He pulls away watching me catch my breath. His forehead resting against mine.
"When I say this, I mean it with my whole existence. You will be the only lover I have, the only wife I have, and the only one who'll feel and know me more than anyone else." Cabel honestly speaks.
"Really?" I whisper, my heart racing as I look back at his loving eyes.
"Really... That duke laying his hands on you, made me feel a level of jealousy that I never want to feel again. How would it be fair if I made you feel that way too?"
"Cabel... It's different. You're the emperor. You need wives to support you-"
"I would rather let the empire burn than to have someone other than you."
My cheeks grow warm as his eyes pierce back at me, his sincere and calm tone making my mind blank.
"You are the only one I need. I don't need anyone else when you're already in my life."
"Cabel... Then, can I be more selfish?"
"About?"
"I... I want to be able to see you more... I want to be with you whenever I miss you."
Cabel smiles gently, staring at me as he listens.
"I'm sorry, I know you're busy a lot of the times, but I just can't help being greedy-"
He cuts me off, kissing me sweetly.
He pulls away kissing my forehead.
"You never need to hold back. You'll have all of me to yourself and I'll have all of you to myself."
"It wouldn't be selfish if I said to never have another concubine? Even if it was for a plan?"
"No. If you don't want someone to have that title, I'll never give it nor do I want anyone else. So, I suggest you decide if you really want to marry me or else I'll never let you go." Cabel arrogantly speaks, yet his words hold a kind tone.
I nod slightly.
"I do..." I smile, a weight lifted off my shoulders.
Cabel kisses me again, holding me tightly to his body. He lifts me in his arms, carrying me to the sofa.
"Damn it..." Cabel's deep voice mutters, his face mildly blushing.
"Cabel?" I call out.
"I can't hold back. Let me hear your sweet moans echo in my office." Cabel grins devilishly.
"Ah, wait!-"
He traps me on the sofa, kissing me deeply.

I sit in the garden, drinking tea.
The birds chirping as the spring breeze cools me down.
"My lady, would you like me to bring another book?" Magnolia asks.
"Hm, no, I'll enjoy the weather after I finish this one. Could you freshen the tea up?" I smile.
"Of course!" Magnolia bows, taking the teapot inside.
I admire the beautiful blooming garden, flower petals flying through the sky.

"Lady Luna!"
I turn to see Ming jogging up to my table. Her hanfu swiftly swaying behind her.
"Princess Ming, hello." I stand, curtsying slightly.
"I suppose I should address you as empress?" She giggles.
"No, please speak comfortably. I'm not formally engaged yet, so I'd prefer if we can speak casually, if you don't mind?"
"Of course not! I hope we can become closer! Please, call me Ming!"
"Then call me Luna. Won't you sit and join me? My maid will be back shortly with some more tea." I pull out a chair for her.
She bows her head, sitting down.
"Where's Lady Canella?" I ask.
"She's returned to her father's estate. His highness wrote a letter of the current situation so she's speaking with him."
"I see... It must have been difficult to be lovers so far."
"A bit, yes. No one knew our relationship as we pretended to just be friends."
"I see, I suppose people can be ignorant when it comes to this."
"Yes, but it was very romantic how we started to court each other."
"How?" I smile.
"Well, Earl Pietro visited my father years ago. I was very young at the time but needed a fiancé. My father was very relaxed about me marrying... He was a kind man who always believed in 'fated' love, but decided it wouldn't hurt for me to meet candidates. Earl Pietro came with his sons and Canella. I was to meet with one of her brothers but I was very attracted to Canella. I didn't know if it was normal to feel this way, but after they left, she always stayed on my mind until I couldn't ignore my temptations. I began to learn multiple languages to communicate with her, if we ever met again. When her father came to visit again, she came too. She claimed it was to be my friend... I surprised her by speaking in her language and she had surprised me too!" Ming giggles, remembering the memory.
"Surprised you how?"
"She had learned the languages of Xiao! All the ancient dialects, the regional dialects, and different variations in order to speak to me! We knew then that we had liked each other. We wrote to each other using different languages each time to keep it a secret. I still get butterflies being with her..." Ming smiles calmly, filled with bliss.
"I'm happy you're able to be with her from now on."
"Yes, it's thanks to your husband." Ming giggles.
My face heats up as she calls Cabel my 'husband'.