8

FEARLESS | viii.
"You have a decision to make here in this moment. I can give you back this knife and you can die here, alone in your own tears, or you can listen to that inner strength calling out to fight like a warrior."

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

Having lived her entire life in the space, in a confined place such as the Ark, Reyna had never been exposed to climate changes, not really. The closest thing she came to one was when she was taken to prison at seventeen and discovered that the cells were a bit chillier than the temperature she was used to.

On earth everything was different, from the air she breathed to the feeling on her feet when she walked. And it was getting colder as the days went by, the sun still rose every morning but the gray clouds didn't let it shine at its fullest. Some days the sky roared alive and lightings illuminated the world as rain poured furiously from above.

Reyna spent most of her childhood reading books about the Earth, as every other kid in the Ark she had to study the planet and everything in it. As far as she knew there were four seasons in a year marked by specific weather conditions, and fortunately she studied every single one of them to understand her current condition.

With the temperatures quickly dropping, the rain, the lack of animals running around or birds chirping closely by, Reyna was pretty sure that winter season was coming and it would get colder before it got hot again.

But this was ancient information and the world had changed, so she had no idea if she was in any condition to survive a winter.

Not that it mattered anyway.

It had been a week since she left the camp and the others behind. It had been a week since Octavia left her. A week since she almost killed Ilian because of her rage. It had been a week since she stopped feeling like a human being.

Closing her eyes she fought back the sadness that came every time she remembered Octavia leaving her, and her body shivered with the cold breeze that seeped through the opening of the Drop Ship where she laid uncovered and unpreoccupied. There were dozens of orange blankets lying around and she was cold but unwilling to reach for one.

What was the point anyway, the cold she felt inside of her had nothing to do with winter.

The Drop Ship was strong enough though, it survived an explosion after all and if Reyna didn't leave the insides at all then maybe winter would pass and the world would come to an end. And she would die in the only place that brought her a small hint of happiness, but it wasn't enough to make her feel alive, make her want to live.

Sleep had become a funny thing, something to yearn but not something to count on. It came with unpleasant memories that have turned into nightmares that hunt her when she closed her eyes willingly, so she refused to give in to sleep until exhaustion forced her and she fainted, at least that way she doesn't dream.