4

FEARLESS | iv.
"Why are you helping me?"

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

Water lapped at Reyna's knees, sending goosebumps up her skin. The water in this stream left her legs almost numb, though somehow it wasn't unpleasant. Maybe it wasn't even the icy temperature of the water, but the amount of time she'd spent sitting there.

Reyna didn't know how long she'd been at the stream, just that when she came the sun hadn't even been up yet, and now it was shining down on her from above.

With heavy eyes, she had sat there all morning, her worries plaguing her mind. The thoughts of Jasper never left her head. Constantly, she could hear him screaming in agony, even when she was away from camp. The fear of him dying didn't let her sleep, or rest. Over the past week all she'd done was help with anything she could at the camp so she could to keep herself busy.

Jasper was not doing well. His condition had taken a turn for the worse. Night and day, groans of pain tore from his throat, echoing throughout the camp. His pain must've been excruciating. His screams bristled with agony, so heavy that even Reyna swore she could feel it.

She'd hadn't had a good nights sleep for a week. It was impossible to stay in slumber when her friend's cries carried through the air every few minutes. This morning, the thing she'd really wanted to do was find a place to sleep outside the camp, somewhere quiet.

All her effort was fruitless though, for even with the peaceful surrounding she couldn't fall asleep.

An ache had settled in the nape of Reyna's neck and she craned it up to stretch it. As she did so her eyes landed on the thick canopy of trees. A waft of wind blew by, sending the leaves into a shudder. The forest around her sprawled for miles, and it was at that moment that Reyna's heart skipped a beat.

Leaves rustled somewhere. It might've been the wind, but Reyna didn't want to take the chance. If anything was dangerous, it was sitting alone in a foreign territory that might've been teeming with threats.

In a flurry, she gathered her things, gripped her knife and started her way back to the camp.

As she walked - in a too hurried manner - she couldn't stop herself from glancing around every now and then.

The feeling that someone was watching her would not abandon her already worried mind. Whenever she threw a glance upwards, pairs of eyes seemed to shine from behind the leaves of trees.

All she could do was remind herself it was all in her head. But a small voice whispered "Is it?" every time.

Thankfully, the gates of camp soon came into view. Once she passed through the first thing she noticed was Murphy, Bellamy and their crew next to a tree, a pile of newly made weapons by their feet. Murphy sorted through them until he found a knife. He twisted it to get a better hold as Reyna neared them. Her stare stayed fixed on Murphy as he hurled the knife towards the target carved into the tree. The knife cut swiftly through the air until it reached the tree, but it was not thrown strong enough to pierce the hard wood. With a thunk it rebounded against the tree trunk and fell to the grass.

"Well that could've been better." Reyna smirked before taking an axe from the heap of weapons. She twisted it in her hand and watched as Murphy eyed her in annoyance.

"That damn kid, always messing with my head." Murphy rolled his eyes, taking a few steps away.

"That not an excuse for failing, Johnny." Reyna patted his shoulder but he just pushed her hand away, a number of curses leaving his mouth. Reyna's lip curled into a satisfied smirk as she threw the axe, hitting the center of the tree with.