9

FEARLESS | ix
"Warriors will fight a conclave. One champion per clan. One death instead of thousands."

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

Leaving the dropship Reyna felt a sense of freedom, but also apprehension of where she would end up. She walked for hours by Adria's side. They had supplies to last at least a week, it was a good job, Reyna was a good hunter, survivor.

The more they walked, the more the surroundings were unknown to Reyna. The land was different, grass was almost a brown color, the snow that was supposed to cover the ground was melted away. All that remained was a ghost land. No sign of life anywhere.

The end was near, Reyna could tell. She had doubts about it coming in a few months, it seemed like it would happen any minute now, just a matter of time.

She had been traveling with Adria for about a week. Walking when it was daytime and sleeping in caves when the night came, and if they had any luck they slept in taverns.

Back in Polis a war was brewing. That was what Reyna found out from other travelers. Skaikru had made an alliance with Azgeda, but then another one with Trikru. Reyna knew that alliances didn't mean much when the end was coming, all that really mattered was surviving, it didn't matter how.

She heard they found a bunker, and that Skaikru would share it with Trikru, the only problem was that the bunker was under the temple in Polis, and the temple belonged to Azgeda. She was still debating if she should go back, fight on the side of her people, win the war or die a warriors death.

Adria glanced at Reyna who was staring intensely ahead, eyes focused on the path, rarely blinking. Adria could tell she was deep in her thoughts, "What are you thinking about?" She asked, eyes drifting ahead as well.

Reyna broke her stare, staring down to the ground for a second before she raised her chin and looked back up, "All I can think about is there's a war going on and I'm not in it."

Adria pursed her lips together, before she let out a sigh, "No war will stop Praimfaya."

Reyna slightly shook her head in disagreement, "At least it would be a warrior's death." She said, "Better than melting." She said under her breath.

"And what will warriors be when there are no wars to fight?" Adria questioned, looking at Reyna for a few moments with slight curiosity.

Reyna opened her mouth to answer, but she didn't know how to. What are warriors without wars? What is she without an enemy to fight?

Nobody. She was nothing.

"A warrior's livehood is bred from violence. The strong devour the weak. Peace will do no good for a warrior." Adria cleared her throat, "Without wars to fight, warriors are nothing but purposeless weapons, collecting dust as their edges dull."