7

FEARLESS | vii.
"You can't change those around you or the world."

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

The crowd of delinquents dispersed soon after the flares launched. Reyna had lingered there a bit longer, rooted in her spot. She stayed there, even as Bellamy called after her, even as the other teenagers passed by. The area in front of the dropship, once packed with people, had become desolate in the blink of an eye.

The camp became silent in a matter of minutes, all hushed chatter dying down. And soon the only sound Reyna could hear was her own breathing.

And though she hadn't slept for so long, it was the last thing she wanted to do. Her mind was too occupied with the situation they were in for her to be able to fall into a slumber.

Knowing this night would be another restless one, she started wandering around the camp, looking for a place to settle down. After a bit, she decided on sitting down by the dropship.

Even through her jacket, she could feel the cold metal of it as she rested her back on one of the walls. Though that was nothing compared to the icy wind of the night. It sent a shudder of movement through the trees, the branches shivering as it blew by.

Reyna pulled her knees closer to her chest, trying to preserve her warmth.

It was hard to keep her eyes on anything but the sky.

No clouds obscured the moon or the stars around it. It was perfectly clear that night, ideal for stargazing. Though that was not the reason Reyna's eyes stayed fixed on the above.

She kept staring hoping that, if the council did decide to kill off 300 people, she would see it. She had to know if their efforts had done any good, if the flares had, indeed, been seen by someone up there. If they had successfully saved the lives that have been put in danger.

Fluttering caught her attention, and she tore her eyes from the sky, looking down. The open notebook in front of her had been ruffled by the wind, making the pages flap.

Her attention on the notebook now, Reyna scanned the pages. The book had been a gift from Darius. In it, he had written hundreds of words, even the common phrases, and sayings. It was all in Trigedasleng, but he had written the translations as well.

Reyna had been trying to learn for a few days now and was able to remember about a dozen words, even a saying or two. Of course, it was easier when Darius was with her because he could always correct her mistakes and offer his help.

An idea came to mind and Reyna didn't even think before she stood up, stashing the notebook under some leaves to keep it hidden.

Sneaking out of camp was easy enough. She knew she couldn't go through the gate without being questioned, and that was the last thing she wanted. She didn't need anyone questioning her whereabouts. To her luck, she had found a loose panel in the wall a few days back, and that was the exit she used to escape without being noticed.

Her dagger was in her hand as she walked through the woods, eyes alert and scanning the trees.

It wasn't long before she found herself at the entrance of Darius' cave. She neared it, her footsteps light on the ground underneath. Peeking her head in, she saw light coming from deeper in.