Sixty Nine

a/n: manip ^^

I stepped out of the car, helping Summer as she made her way onto the sidewalk as well. She slung her purse over her shoulder and pulled off her sunglasses, glancing over at me with an excited smile. The two of us stood side by side on the curb as we looked up at the building in front of us.

Our new home.

"I'm scared," Summer spoke up, turning her head to face me.

I looked down at her and frowned, "Why?"

"I've never lived anywhere else."

"Well it's time for a change," I quickly kissed her lips as I smiled. "We have a place of our own now."

"That is pretty exciting," she laughed as we turned back around.

The driver of the car had opened the trunk, revealing some of the boxes and things we packed. I pulled out one of Summer's smaller duffle bags as the driver stood next to me, telling me to go inside and see if there was a luggage cart. 

Summer had walked into the building, already talking with the guy at the front desk. She looked nervous, as if she wasn't supposed to be in this new building. Her eyes kept wandering around the lobby, watching residents walk in and out and observing people outside the windows. She's lived in her family's hotel for twenty years. I'd be pretty nervous, too, to be moving out into a different building. It was definitely going to take some getting used to for her.

I stepped up beside her, placing my hand at her lower back as I smiled. She glanced up at me before she leaned her head at my shoulder. All she needed was comfort; all she needed was someone to tell her that she was doing fine.

Ever since Robert started acting nicer and more supportive, Summer couldn't pack her bags for more than ten minutes without stopping and asking me if I thought he was doing some kind of reverse psychology. It was actually pretty sad how much she didn't trust her dad. Not like she didn't have a reason to not trust him, I just hoped that their relationship would get better soon. I didn't like seeing her so hostile towards her own dad, especially when things with her mother had been getting much better.

But I'm assuming that with time, she will realize that he's being genuine. And once she realizes that, I think things between them will get better.

It was just the time in between now and then that I had to help her through. She helped me once before, now it's my turn to help her.

The guy at the front desk handed us two sets of keys, a few pieces of paper for us to sign, and then a folder of papers I didn't pay attention to what he said they were. I hoped Summer was listening because I sure wasn't.

There was a luggage cart off to the side, so I walked over and grabbed it before rolling it out the door. The driver was still waiting by the trunk of the car, beginning to unpack all the bags once he saw me walk outside. 

We had packed the cart as much as we could, still having stuff left in the car. Summer and I decided to head up to our new apartment, taking the luggage with us. It was a little intimidating. I hadn't moved into a new place since I moved to the city. At least this time my roommate was someone I knew, rather than some guy that placed an ad on the internet and moved out four months after I came in. 

The two of us took the elevator up to the forty-fifth floor, walking down the hallway and pushing the cart until we reached our place. The closer we got to the door, the more antsy I was getting. I had forgotten how exciting it could be when getting a new place to live.

Summer unlocked the front door and slowly swung it wide open. The apartment was bare, waiting to be furnished with our own belongings, which we still needed to buy. The whole room still looked just as bright and nice and shiny as it did when we first looked at it. The wooden floors and kitchen appliances looked fucking expensive. And the view from the windows that overlooked the park, my favorite part of the whole place, was just as amazing as I had remembered it to be.