Thirty Seven

"Mom?" I spoke, completely unsure why she was here.

She turned her head towards me, and the biggest smile spread across her face, "Harry! It's so good to see you finally!"

I met her half way before she threw her arms around my neck in a very tight hug. It really was nice seeing her after all these months, and after the phone conversation we had yesterday, it was comforting to have a hug from her.

It felt like a couple years since I had seen her last. With me living in the city and her over in Jersey with Robin, we never really had time to meet up. For me only being twenty and not seeing my parents much, it seemed kind of weird. I was sure that people my age always talked with and saw their parents, whether it was just to catch up with each other or ask for financial help.

But then again, it was that independence that I wanted when I left Jersey. I didn't want to rely on my mother for everything anymore, I wanted to earn my money and have that sense of accomplishment and satisfaction with myself. Surely I wasn't earning a lot of money now, but it was enough to get by. 

Both Xander and Isabella were talking with Robin as my mom almost squeezed me to death. Once she finally let go, I could see her eyes about to water.

"Mom, don't cry."

"I can't help it," she used her finger to wipe away a tear before it had fallen. "I haven't seen you in a long while. You look different."

"It's the bruises, Mom."

"No, it's not that," her fingers lightly touched the marks on my face. Her expression instantly changed into that motherly concerned look. "Are you alright? Have you taken proper care of these?"

"Yes I have," I chuckled as I swatted away her hands. "So what are you doing here? You didn't say anything on the phone yesterday about coming down."

My mom took a few steps back and placed her hand on my stepdad's shoulder, "Well Robin has a conference here tomorrow, and I figured we could come down a day early to see you. After seeing that magazine yesterday and talking with you on the phone, I realized how much I missed you, so I wanted to make it a surprise visit."

"Sorry we didn't let you know ahead of time," Robin apologized, probably in response to my still shocked expression.

I shook my head, not wanting them to believe I didn't want them here, "No no, it's okay. Not a big deal. I'm happy to see you both."

"And we love your company," Xander piped in, smiling and causing my mother to smile in return. For as long as I could remember, she's always liked Xander. Granted she didn't know about his involvement with drugs, but even though he was pretty much always with me when I got in trouble, she still had a liking for him.

I knew my mother wasn't too fond of Isabella for the sole reason that she once caught us fucking. She didn't dislike her or anything, but she wasn't her favorite person. That was understandable, although I was a little surprised she didn't hate Izzy. Then again, my mother wasn't a hateful person. 

"Oh, Xander. It's always nice to see you as well," she smiled before she turned her attention towards me. "So what do you say, we all go out to lunch? It's on Robin and I."

"I'd love to go," Xander and Isabella spoke simultaneously.

Robin nodded at them and looked at me, "Harry?"

I hesitated for a moment as I glanced back and forth between the four of them, "Um, well-"

I was cut off by knocking at the front door, and I was relieved to know that it was most likely Summer. Excusing myself really quick, I walked over and opened the door, basically crashing right into Summer as I stepped out into the hallway and shut it right behind me.