Thirty Six

a/n: i made a hander manip ^ lol

I heard my alarm blaring through my ears, which caught me completely by surprise because I didn't remember setting my alarm. As I opened my eyes, the first thing I saw was a pile of brown hair atop my chest. In my tired state, it took me a few minutes to realize that it was Summer's hair.

Starting to become fully awake, I was more aware of my surroundings and what exactly was going on. Summer and I were lying down together on the couch with a large blanket over the two of us. She was wedged between my body and the couch cushion, her arm draped over my stomach.

I couldn't quite remember when we fell asleep, or even why we didn't sleep on a bed rather than the couch, but somehow we ended up here. It was just like the last time I had fallen asleep in her apartment, except this time she wasn't awake and attempting to cook an omelet while making a mess in the kitchen. Also, this time I was actually up early enough to get to the restaurant to clean.

Feeling around for my phone, I fished it out of my pocket and shut the alarm off. Summer had stirred in her sleep, nuzzling her head into my chest a little more. I felt really bad for having to get up and disrupt her slumber, but I really did have to get to the kitchen. I hadn't gone yesterday or the day before, and I'm pretty sure Niall wanted to kill me for putting all the work on him. 

With my thumb, I pushed some of the hair out of Summer's face, watching as her nose wrinkled and eyes closed tighter together before they fluttered open. It took her a moment or two to wake up and register where she was. 

"Hi," she quietly mumbled, closing her eyes again.

"Hey," I whispered as I sheepishly shifted myself under her. "Um. I hate to do this, but I need you to get off me."

Summer opened her eyes back up, and I could see the clear confusion in her facial expression.

"I mean, like, I need to go because kitchen duty and stuff," I clarified, forcing a laugh.

"Oh, right. I forget about that sometimes."

She moved herself so that I was able to get out from under her, and as I stood up from the couch she laid back down, burying herself in the blanket. I ruffled my hair a little bit and shook my head to fully wake myself up. It was a good thing I was already dressed in workout-type clothes because I didn't quite have enough time to go back to my place and change. 

"If you need something to eat, you can grab something from the fridge or cabinets," Summer mumbled into the blanket, slowly opening her eyes to look at me.

"Oh, okay. Thanks," I leaned down and gave her a kiss on her forehead.

I walked over to the kitchen and rummaged around a bit, looking for something that was easy to just grab and go. I found a box of granola bars and a fridge drawer full of water bottles, so I grabbed two bars and a bottle and headed back into the living area. 

Just as I was heading to the elevator, I heard Summer's faint voice, causing me to stop and turn towards her. 

"Did you want to do something today?"

"Sure," I nodded, taking a few steps closer to the couch so I could hear her. "What were you thinking?"

"Um. I have no idea, actually."

I chuckled at her sleepy response before I just nodded my head, "Come over at noon or something, and we'll figure something out."

"Okay, goodnight."

"Good morning, you mean."

"Whatever tickles your fancy."

I shook my head and walked back over to the elevator, stepping into the car when it arrived. I rode down to the lobby, eating those granola bars in the process.