Sixteen

"Cheers."

Zayn clinked his glass against mine and took a sip. He was drinking some kind of expensive whiskey, something I would never be able to afford, and I just sat there with my glass of beer. We had been at this bar for well over an hour, and I was just now starting to feel the effects from my fourth drink. 

This bar was really really nice. It was so dark inside but nicely lit. I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's how I could describe it. Behind the bar was a wall filled with hundreds of bottles of different types of alcohol. The place was actually really incredible, and probably my new favorite bar had it not been so nice and expensive. I almost felt like I didn't belong here, but for some reason I just didn't let it bother me.

"So," Zayn grinned, setting his glass on the bar top. "Enlighten me about yourself. Summer hasn't told me anything about you."

"She hasn't?" I asked.

I was kind of put down by this. I knew he said earlier that he didn't know Summer was dating anyone, but I thought maybe if she was talking to Cambria about me that she would've said something to Zayn. Maybe I'm not as important to her as I originally thought I was. Maybe I wasn't even important at all.

Who am I kidding? I'm a broke guy who cleans kitchens to pay for rent, and she's an heiress to a hotel chain. I completely understand why she wouldn't tell people about me.

"Nope," Zayn shrugged. "She doesn't really tell me much about her flings or dates or boyfriends anymore. Not ever since I got into it with her last boyfriend."

I gave him a confused look as I took a gulp of my beer, "What do you mean?"

"It wasn't even anything big. I knew from day one that he was an asshole, but she wouldn't listen to me. She kept getting mad at me for bad mouthing him and whatever. Then one day I was tired of his shit, so I decked him in the jaw. Needless to say, Summer was pissed at me, and she gave me the cold shoulder for such a long time. Even after she realized he was a dick and they split, she doesn't tell me much. I think she's afraid I'll attack any guy she dates."

"So, you were being serious about coming after me if I do anything to her."

"Of course I was. If you do anything like her last boyfriend did, I will not hesitate to knock you out. I don't like seeing her upset. I told you, she's like my little sister."

I simply nodded my head in response. I knew he was being serious about it, but a part of me hoped he was joking. Not like I was actually going to hurt her or anything. But now if she's upset because of me, I will know I need to watch out for him.

"Anyways," he continued. "Tell me about you. What do you do?"

"Uh. I work at a restaurant."

"As a waiter? Huh, I've never done that before."

"Um, yeah sometimes. It's not too bad, I guess."

"How do you pay for living off money being a waiter?"

"I split rent with a roommate."

"Interesting. Not sure how you do it. Everything is so expensive here."

"It really is."

"But I applaud you for doing so because I couldn't."

"It's not that bad. I just don't splurge on things."

"That would be bad for me. I like having the nice things and all. I can't help myself."

"You'd get used to it."

We sat there for a little while longer just talking and joking around. He was the complete opposite of Xander, and it was kind of nice being around him. I mean, every time I went out to bars with Xander, we ended up getting too drunk and sometimes kicked out. It was always fun because we just acted like idiots. But with Zayn, I felt more ... sophisticated, I guess. We weren't obnoxious and out of control as we sat there drinking together. We talked with the bartender, whom was friends with Zayn, and bought him a shot of something. I don't remember what it was because I wasn't the one who paid for it.