Forty Eight

a/n: sorry for the wait. i've been sick and had exams. new cover again lol. ^^manip isabella & harry

I took the train out of the city, sitting down in one of the seats and keeping my headphones in. The journey was a lot longer than I remembered, but then again it's been over a year since I took this train. 

Once I had reached my stop, I hopped off the train and caught the first cab I could find. It was a quiet and lonely journey all the way there. I wished I had something or someone with me, but it was a good thing I was going alone. I wanted to be alone.

I got out of the cab and paid the driver before I walked up the pathway. Reaching up, I knocked on the door a few times and waited, hoping someone was there to answer. It took a few minutes, but I could hear someone making their way towards the door before it swung open.

"Harry! What a pleasant surprise! What are you doing here?"

I instantly smiled being in the presence of my mom, feeling my tense shoulders begin to relax. She has a weird calming effect, and she doesn't even have to do anything except stand near me. 

As I stepped into the small house, my mom wrapped her arms around me in a tight hug, slightly swaying from side to side. I could tell she was starting to cry again, and this time I think it was because I hadn't been home in a very long time.

"I just wanted to see you," I smiled as she finally pulled away from me. "See how you're doing and what you're up to."

She examined me up and down, her head tilting to the side as she squinted her eyes. For a brief moment she didn't say anything, but then she straightened herself and waved her hand, "I don't believe you, but I'll go along with it."

I followed her into the kitchen area, looking around the home as I walked. There were more pictures hung up on the walls, some of my sister, Gemma, and some of my mom and Robin. They all looked so happy in the pictures, traveling to different places and having fun. 

I stopped walking as I spotted a few pictures that grabbed my attention. One of the pictures was from middle school, eighth grade to be exact, and it was of Xander and me. Our arms were wrapped around each other's shoulders, and we had on the biggest grins, mouths full of braces. We looked ridiculous. I couldn't believe we looked like that way back then and actually thought we were hottest in school. Idiots.

Another picture of Xander and me on the wall was from high school graduation. His hair was a mess under that hat he wore, and the color of our cap and gowns was a hideous green. Xander had a lopsided grin on his face as I was laughing. Those were the good old days.

"Harry, are you hungry? Have you eaten lunch yet?" I heard my mom call out from the kitchen.

Stepping away from the picture-filled wall, I walked over to where she was and sat down at the counter, "I'm starving, actually."

"What would you like? I can make you a sandwich, soup, I'll put a pizza in the oven."

"Pizza, please."

She nodded her head and pulled a pizza out of the freezer. As she got the oven heating and got the pizza out of the packaging, I tapped my fingers on the counter, trying to think of a way to casually start a conversation.

"So, where's Robin?" 

My mom looked at me and quietly laughed, "At work, of course."

"Oh, that's right. Did you have any plans for the day?"

She shook her head and leaned on the counter, "Not really. Just cleaning up around the house. Chores, mainly. You're not interrupting me or anything, if that's what you're thinking."