Chapter 59/Anger

Oof, I have to do music harmony.

Warnings: Bullying.

--

It turned out (Y/n)'s foreboding feeling was justified a few days later.

It was quiet in the halls, too quiet. Sunlight filtered through the windows, lighting the corridors. She shivered even though the heating system in the school was working perfectly. Something was wrong. She could feel it. Rounding the corner of the hall, she began to walk faster. Not sure where she was going, she let her feet take her.

Her breaths came out in short puffs as she walked quicker and quicker. She slowed down when she heard footsteps. They echoed in the empty halls and (Y/n) barely had time to see who was running around the corner before they collided. She hardly stumbled, all too use to when Italy would tackle her for a hug.

She looked down and recognized the auburn brown hair along with the distinct curl. It was when he looked up and met her eyes, did she notice the faint tears streaking down his face.

"(Y-Y/n)?" he stuttered.

"Feliciano?"

(What was going on?)

She got her answer a second later.

"Running to your girlfriend now? Pathetic." The voice was distasteful and rude.

"Yeah, who even does that," another voice mocked.

(Y/n) looked up and frowned. It was then, she was acutely aware of how Italy was clenching her blazer, how he was shaking and the tears that had started soaking in. Oh, she thought. So that was how it was going to. Any words she could have said turned to ash on her tongue. She let out a deep breath as the bullies continued to throw taunts at her friend.

"I can't believe anyone would like him-"

"Shut up." (Y/n)'s words were sharp.

"Wha-"

"I said. Shut. Up."

(For once, the voices didn't try to stop her.)

O.o.O

Italy could barely hear himself over the sounds of his own sobbing. He didn't mean to run into (Y/n), in fact, he had been trying to avoid anyone else in general. He was just running, away from the bullies, away from his problems.

(Running away was what he was best at.)

But he failed at avoiding anyone seeing as how he ran straight into (Y/n)'s arms. He was failing a lot of things lately, he mused to himself. Standing up for himself, avoiding the bullies, avoiding the sharp words of doubt. Maybe they were right, he was pathetic. Weak, useless, little Italy.

He was aware of how (Y/n) was still holding him. He was also aware that only one voice was speaking. It took him roughly 10 seconds to realize it was the very girl he was clinging onto. It was at that point, he noticed how cold her words were. Maybe that was why it took him so long to recognize her voice.

The words were sharper and colder than he had ever heard from her. It was different from her usual tone, lacking the warmth she usually had. He had never seen her angry before. But, this? This felt like anger. It wasn't the blazing furious type of anger that threatened to swallow everything in its path but rather, the cool frigid kind of anger that froze you in place as if daring you to make a move.

Italy couldn't hear everything (Y/n) was saying. It may have been because her hands were covering his ears or maybe it was because he didn't want to hear anything his bullies had to say.

(And maybe he didn't want to hear what (Y/n) had to say either out of fear she may agree he's weak.)

O.o.O

"Have jou found Feliciano?" Germany asked Japan.

The island nation shook his head. The newspaper club was supposed to have a meeting today that was supposed to start half an hour. Evidently, Italy hadn't shown up so they had gone searching for him. He could have just fallen asleep somewhere and forgotten to go to the meeting but Germany had checked all the usual napping spots and found his cheerful friend strangely absent.

Japan had said he hadn't found him either and Italy wasn't answering his phone. That had them concerned so, they went searching for him. They checked every hall, starting from the top floor. They spiralled down and eventually landed upon the final few corridors.

"Do you think we'rr find him here?" Japan asked softly.

"Ja." They had to. There wasn't anywhere else he could be. They checked as quickly as could, finally, turning around the last corner of this overly convoluted school and-

And they found Italy but not alone. Instead, he was in (Y/n)'s arms with several other students a few metres away from them. She was talking, rambling, yet every word was concise and held purpose. Germany realized pretty quickly what she was speaking about and why she sounded so cold.

They were bullying Italy.

There was a pang in Germany's heart. How had he not noticed this was going on?

"Wait untir (Y/n)-chan is finished," Japan murmured.

He gritted his teeth. "Fine."

(He had a feeling she was almost finished with her speech anyway.)

O.o.O

(Y/n) didn't talk to people as much as she observed them. That left her knowing a little too much about others when she had never talked to them. She supposed that helped her this time, with her long-winded speech defending Italy while subtly picking at their flaws. She was sure that if she said anymore, the bullies would be reduced to tears.

But, she held back.

(Even if they deserved it.)

"Leave," she stated, "I never want to see you anywhere near Feliciano again."

"You-" a bully choked out, "You can't make sure of that."

(Y/n) harshly glared at them.

They took a step back and then another, before scrambling to get away. Good. If she ever saw them bullying Italy again, let's just say being reduced the tears wouldn't be their only problem. She sighed, the confrontation finally over. She looked downwards to Italy who was still clinging onto her. Rubbing his back, she waited for his sobs to become hiccups.

"Hey," she said softly. "It's okay. They're gone now."

Italy peered through his eyelashes, a few stray tears slipping out. She lifted her hand and wiped away the tears.

"Really?" he breathed.

"Yeah."

"Do you think I'm-a pathetic?"

(Y/n) paused. Where would he get that idea? "No, of course not."

"But- but, I'm weak. I can't even stand-a up for myself-"

"Feli- Feli," she spoke. "Don't listen to them. You're not weak, maybe you are physically, but you've been so strong, dealing with them. You're a great person and above all, an excellent friend."

"But, I always need you or Kiku or Luddy to help me," he said weakly.

"But you help us too. We help each other because that's what friends do so don't worry okay?"

She gave him a kind smile as his eyes began to tear up again. He cried on her shoulder and she gently patted him on the back.

"We'll always help you," she murmured. "If anyone bullies you again, tell us. You don't have to go through this alone."

As Italy wept on her shoulder and Japan and Germany came around the corner, (Y/n) thought that maybe, just maybe, everything would be okay.

--

You have no idea how long I've been planning this scene. Literal months and it's finally complete! Yay! For those of you who wanted to see was Reader-san was like when angry, I hope this is satisfactory. Thanks for reading!