Chapter 18/Stars

18 chapters in and I've still go characters I need to introduce. I also need to build more development with Reader-san and everyone else's relationship. Just as a heads up, Japan's the only one who has Reader-san's phone number right now. This is set in the current year.

--

(Y/n) sighed softly as the breeze blew her scarf. It had started snowing a few days ago, marking the beginning of winter. Snow drifted around, building up into small piles on the ground. The snow crunched under her feet as she walked on the sidewalk casually. She had been planning on going outside tonight because it was still a nice evening.

(Despite the cold.)

There also wasn't much homework assigned today which she had already finished so she could enjoy the evening more. She closed her eyes gently as snow blew towards her face before opening it again. She stepped quickly to one side and passed an old person. She looked up at the sky and saw it darkening.

(Y/n) stopped in front of the entrance to the park. The small gate was opened like usual and snow accumulated on top of the metal bars. She quietly walked onto the stone path that led deeper into the park. She dug her hands into her pockets once she noticed how cold they were before continuing.

(She didn't bring gloves.)

Her feet led her through a small path towards a small playground where other people were. Some people waved at her which she politely returned.

(It didn't matter to her if her hands were cold afterwards.)

Her eyes drifted around as she softly blinked the snowflakes off her eyelashes. She took a few steps through the soft snow towards a small path where three familiar people were. She took three steps before she stopped.

(Would it be awkward if she suddenly approached them? They're only acquaintances after all.)

She turned away quickly. Far too quickly. She strayed to a path close by and tried to ignore the three other nations. She didn't want to bother them. Her eyes looked up towards the sky. The stars were shining along with the moon. She let out a soft breath and watched it become visible in the cold air. She stopped when she heard someone call her name.

(She knew who it was.)

She turned her head and smiled respectfully.

"Hello, Mathias," she nodded, "Fancy seeing you here."

"Hey (Y/n)!" he grinned widely.

Two other nations were standing behind him, Iceland and Norway.

"How have you been?" she asked.

"I've been great! How about you?" he replied.

"I've been well," she smiled gently.

"Oh yeah, Norge, this is (Y/n)!" Denmark exclaimed, turning towards Norway.

(His dull eyes stared into her.)

"Hello," she murmured quietly, "It's a pleasure to meet you."

(They've seen each other before, they've just never talked.)

"Likewise," Norway replied. His voice never shifted from his normal monotone one.

The Nordic country gestured towards Iceland, "This is my little brother, Emil."

"I'm not your little brother," Iceland muttered.

"Call me big brother."

"Don't care."

"Big Bro."

"Not saying it."

"Big Sis."

"Now, you aren't making any sense."

(She was inclined to believe that as well.)

(Y/n) silently watched the conversation go back and forth.

"Is this normal?" she asked Denmark who was standing next to her.

He laughed, "Yep."

The small argument stopped.

"My name's Emil Steilsson," Iceland said.

"It's nice to meet you," she said with a subtle nod.

"We should get going now," Norway said.

Denmark quickly checked the time, "Oh, you're right."

Denmark smiled apologetically at her, "Sorry, we gotta leave."

She waved off the concern, "Don't worry about it. I shouldn't be keeping you here."

(She fiddled with her cold fingers for a second.)

"I'll see you guys around," she smiled.

"Sure! See you!" Denmark exclaimed cheerfully before starting to leave, "Come on!"

Iceland and Norway bid their goodbyes before following in suit. She stuffed her cold fingers back into her pocket before walking along the stone path up a nearby hill. Her cheeks were a rosy pink from the cold and the snow was starting to calm. She walked up the small hill.

(Then, she stopped when she noticed a person on the hill.)

It was rather obvious who it was due to the copious amounts of red maple leaves on their clothing. She walked slowly up the hill, the snow crunching beneath her feet. Her footsteps were quiet dispute walking on snow. Canada seemed to have heard her anyway and tilted his head around to look at her.

"Hello, (Y/n)," he smiled warmly.

"Hello, Matthew," she replied.

He was wearing a jacket, gloves, a scarf and a hat. Clearly, he was much more prepared for the cold than she was with her thinner jacket and scarf.

(Although it wasn't surprising because he was one of the colder climate countries.)

"How have you been," she asked as she made her way up the hill.

"I'm good," he said, "How about you?"

"I'm good. Can I ask why you're out here today?"

He let out soft laughs and his eyes twinkled with mirth, "I could ask you the same."

She smiled, "I suppose. I guess I wanted to spend some time outside today."

"Fair enough. I didn't want to get caught up with Alfred in the dorm. I think he's still trying to finish his essay," He murmured.

(She knows which one. She handed that one in a while ago.)

"I can't say I'm surprised," she commented, bringing her hand out of her pockets and breathing into them to try to warm them up.

"You didn't bring gloves?" Canada said, suddenly more alert.

She flushed softly, "I forgot."

"You shouldn't leave your hand cold like this," he scolded as he took off his gloves and held them in front of her, "Here."

"But, what about your hands?" She protested, pushing them away.

(She couldn't bother him like this. Those were his gloves and if she forgot her own, she should suffer the consequences, not him.)

He blushed but held firm, "Don't worry about me. You can give them back later."

"Are you sure?"

He nodded. (Y/n) sighed a little and reluctantly slipped the gloves on. They were warm like she expected.

"Thank you," she said.

"You're welcome." 

--

Thanks for reading!