Chapter 43/Cooking

And back to the field trip. Off-topic but characters with hair blocking their eyes and then people finding out like, "omg, they have eyes" is the funniest thing to me. So, uh, I've never made pasta. I have never had pasta. I went to an Italian restaurant with my friend for her birthday and I ordered a burger. To be fair, another one of my friends also ordered a burger with me.

--

The walk back was filled with lighthearted conversation. (Y/n) chuckled as France recounted a story of him and England. It was around 7:30 AM when they arrived at the hotel again. It was reassuring to see France back to his normal state after their talk and (Y/n) was glad he was okay.

France opened the door for her at the entrance of the hotel to which she thanked him.

"Are you going to get breakfast now?" (Y/n) asked.

"Oui. Are you-"

"Ragazza."

France was cut off by Romano who gripped (Y/n)'s wrist and began dragging her away.

"Let's go-a make something," he said.

(Y/n) blinked, confused.

"H-huh?"

She quickly waved goodbye to France who chuckled and murmured something under his breath.

"Where are we going, Lovino?" (Y/n) asked Romano who was still gripping her wrist.

"The extra kitchens," he frowned.

"You could've just said so instead of dragging me off," she chided softly.

"Sorry..."

(Y/n) sighed, "It's alright, just don't do it again, okay?"

"Si," he nodded.

(As long as he understood and didn't do it again, she wouldn't have to scold him too much.)

"Anyways, what are we making?"

The duo had just arrived at the kitchen area reserved for guests who wanted to make their own food. Romano led her to one of the sections that were free. The pristine kitchen had just about everything. Refrigerator, stove, oven, microwave; it was even fully stocked with ingredients and pots in the cupboards and drawers.

"Pasta."

(Y/n) chuckled. She really shouldn't have expected anything different. He was South Italy after all.

"Are you going to let go of my wrist now?"

Romano blinked and for a second he looked like he didn't know what she was talking about but then, the pieces clicked in his head and he blushed bright pink. The tips of his ears also flushed as he let go. He coughed and murmured an apology. (Y/n) smiled before taking off her winter coat as well as her scarf.

The Italian began searching through the cupboards to find the ingredients he needed. He also listed them out so (Y/n) could search with him. Soon enough, they had everything prepared along with the pasta rolling machine. They started with the sauce.

"We're going to-a let it simmer," Romano said as he picked up a tomato.

(Y/n) as given the job of chopping up the ingredients. She chopped some onions, minced the garlic, chopped a bit of basil. Romano had taken out a large stockpot. He placed it on the stove and turned up the heat. Once it was sufficiently hot enough, (Y/n) poured some olive oil and tossed in the onions.

They sauteed it for a few minutes. Next, they added the garlic and sauteed for a little more before putting in the tomatoes along with the herbs.

(She remembered seeing Romano take a bite out of one of the tomatoes like an apple and decided not to question it.)

Then, they simmered it.

"Did I do okay?" (Y/n) asked as Romano set the heat.

"Si, better than that Spanish bastard," he whispered that last part under his breath.

"Hm?"

"Nothing."

Next, they moved on to the pasta. Romano made a volcano with the flour and cracked the eggs into it. He added a bit of salt before beginning to whisk it with a fork. As it came together, he began to knead it with his hands. He and (Y/n) took turns kneading the dough. Soon enough, it was smooth and elastic.

(Y/n) chuckled as she spotted the bits of flour that had gotten on Romano's face. He looked at her blankly before trying to use his hand to get rid of the flour which only resulted in him getting more flour on his face. She shook her head and separated the dough into pieces.

They started rolling it out a little and laminating it before putting it through the pasta machine. Starting on the largest setting, they slowly made their way through until the dough was thin enough to be cut into noodles. Soon enough, they were ready to cook the noodles.

But first, Romano checked on the tomato sauce. He took a spoon from one of the drawers and scooped up a bit of the sauce.

"Is it good?" (Y/n) looked over to him as she brought a pot to cook the noodles.

"Taste-a it."

He handed her his spoon before he realized but it was already too late. She already took a spoonful of the sauce and ate it.

"Wow. It's good," she murmured and took the spoon to put in the sink.

(An indirect kiss! Romano felt his face burn.)

"Lovino?"

He shook himself out of it and looked at her. "Si?"

"Are we cooking the noodles now?"

"Si."

They cooked the pasta fairly quickly since it was fresh. Romano kept an eye on it as (Y/n) took out some bowls and forks.

"Lovi~"

"Che. What do you want, Tomato bastard," Romano "tch"-ed.

"Hello, Antonio," (Y/n) greeted.

"Hola! Are you two making pasta?" he grinned cheerily. The girl nodded as Romano took out the noodles and tested one before he started plating up. "Can I have some?"

"Are you kidding-a me?" Romano complained, "I just finished cooking-a them!"

"Sorry, sorry," Spain sheepishly said.

"It's alright. I can boil another batch," (Y/n) stated, already preparing to take out the extra noodles.

"Fine," Romano grunted as they made another batch for Spain.

"Gracias!"

[Gracias: Thank you (Spanish)]

Once all of their portions were done, they sat around a table and dug in. It was delicious. (Y/n) almost didn't want to finish it. She savoured it but sooner than she wanted, she had finished.

"That was so good, Lovi!" Spain licked his lips as he set his bowl down.

"Of course it-a is. I made it," Romano retorted.

"And so did chica."

(Y/n) blinked as the Italian stammered, "She helped too."

Spain laughed and the (h/c)-haired girl sighed and smiled. She collected the empty bowls and forks to put into the sink. Romano yelled at Spain in the background.

(There wasn't any real malicious intent though.)

"Let's make churros!" Spain exclaimed.

"Now?" Romano looked at his former guardian oddly.

"Yeah!"

(Y/n) laughed goodnaturedly as Spain began to prepare the ingredients while Romano shouted at him.

--

Happy New Year! It's 2020! I'm currently writing a Haikyuu three-shot so if anyone's interested, keep an eye out for that. I'm only posting it on Quotev however. Thanks for reading!