Chapter 42/On The Topic Of Love

Yes, this chapter takes place in the middle of this field trip. Anyhow, it's France's chapter! Yay!

--

France was and still is the country of love. Just as Spain was the country of passion and America was the country of freedom, he was the country of love. He was beautiful, he could be seductive and he loved freely.

(Because to him, everyone deserved a chance to be loved.)

But, he admitted sometimes, he wasn't the best at showing his love. He was much better at showing his love in physical ways. The hugs after a reunion, the kisses under the moonlight, the feathery light touches in the dark. He was the master of those. He showed his affection in those ways and it worked to a certain extent.

France loved his people, he loved his friends, he loved and loved but sometimes, he knew he had to let go. Not everyone loved him back, not everyone wanted what he had to give.

(It was cruel, in a sense.)

Unfortunately, not everyone was immortal. Humans die in a blink of an eye to immortals such as him. Their lives were fleeting and it seemed like some tried to love as much as possible in that time. France was almost jealous. Out of all the nations, France tended to get the most involved with his citizens and it broke his heart to watch them die. He knew that some of the other nations did get involved with their citizens but as they were immortal and their citizens were not, they forget their past loves.

France forgot more than he liked to admit. With each and every one, he loved as much as he could and with all that he had to offer however, there was a point where he no longer remembered everyone. And, alas, everyone dies eventually.

Perhaps that was why he preferred the small physical things. The things he could do directly and perhaps only once. It didn't hurt as much. He didn't have to be so attached to show his love.

(So he didn't have to break his heart every time as he showed up to their graves with flowers in hand.)

France knew that not everyone loved it.

Some people needed a different kind of love or a different way to show it. Not everyone was interested in a simple one night stand after a broken heart. Not everyone wanted the empty words of affirmation from a stranger. Not everyone wanted to be showered in gifts all in the name of love.

France had realized long ago that some people crave the friendship a serious relationship brought. The late-night talks, the secrets between two people that weren't for prying ears, the trust and absolute sureness that the other would be there. France was never sure if he wanted to commit to something like that.

(Maybe he was afraid of commitment.)

That lack of commitment, his open attitude to physical affection and his reputation of sleeping around made him an outcast at times. Some of the other nations avoided him and some sought him out specifically for momentary relief. While he would be lying if he said he didn't enjoy his time, it had also hardened his heart.

Sometimes, France looked back and wondered where he went wrong.

In another universe, things might have been different. He often mused why things ended up like this. His reputation as a player and as a person who didn't understand boundaries. He overheard people talking behind his back as he walked through the halls and while denial was just on the tip of his tongue.

(But he knew they probably wouldn't care about what he said.)

He wondered if he would ever find someone to be committed to and if his reputation would ever change.