Chapter 26/Lonely Birthdays

Russia's chapter! Finally. Holy heck, I've been planning this chapter since I first wrote the sequel to the theme back in Moments. According to the kitawiki on Russia, "When Russia greets people, he does so with a kiss on the lips.". This is set in the current year.

December 30th was Russia's birthday. Was he happy on his birthday? He could have been. But...

(Being alone for every one of his birthdays dampened his mood pretty often.)

Every year, every single year. Even when he invited so, so, so many nations, not one ever showed up to his little party. His sisters were always busy. He knew that wasn't their faults. He knew that Belarus would gladly go to his party if it wasn't for the fact her boss always seemed to whisk her away with work. He didn't like to force people to go to his party either.

(He was trying to be a little more docile.)

He was always lonely before, he thought bitterly. It wouldn't be different now. There was a dreadful feeling in his heart as he hung the decorations up around the dorm that he had to himself. He tugged softly at his scarf as he frowned. Winter break had already started long ago and Christmas was only five days ago.

(Maybe he was too hopeful as he closed his eyes and made a wish.)

He opened his purple eyes, glanced across the room before he sighed and whispered a quiet, "Happy birthday to me."

O.o.O

Russia waited as the clock slowly ticked. There were 10 minutes until the time he wrote for the beginning of his party. The cake was ready, there was food prepared, the decorations were set up, everything was ready. So now, he waited and waited and waited. He counted slowly in his head as he waited some more.

9 minutes left.

He was certain no one would show up. No one ever did. Why would this year ever be different? He frowned softly. His sisters had already dropped off their presents for him. He hadn't opened them yet but he was sure he would like them.

(He always did.)

8 minutes left.

Russia hummed a quiet tune and traced a sunflower pattern on the table. There wasn't a point of celebrating his birthday with a party. It couldn't even be considered a party if no one showed up, right? He was never able to make anyone stay with him. Not his sisters, not the Baltics, no one. The Allies were more of a ragtag group rather than friends. But, they had people to talk to outside of each other.

7 minutes left.

But, he was glad to have them, even if they were always arguing. It meant they were alive and he wasn't alone in this world. Russia sighed and counted in his head. Even if no one came, he wouldn't start eating until it was time. Even if there wasn't much left.

6 minutes left.

There was a knock on the door.

Russia froze. The knock was deceptively light, almost hesitant. If it weren't for the fact it was silent at the moment, he was sure he wouldn't have heard it. There was silence on the other side of the door. Who was there? He desperately wished it was someone who had come here for his birthday. Even if they didn't have a present, even if it was just to say happy birthday.

(He hoped it wasn't a prank. He wasn't sure if he would be able to take getting hopeful only for it to go crashing down.)

5 minutes left.

Russia carefully stood up. He took soft steps towards the door. He stopped in front of it. He hesitated when opening the door. What if this was just a cruel joke? He hoped it wasn't. He took a deep breath and opened the door.

O.o.O

(Y/n) was nervous. As she clutched a wrapped box and a flower pot with sunflowers in her arms, she was beginning to have second thoughts. She slowly walked to Russia's dorm where his birthday party was taking place as she let her thoughts run wild.

(Never a good habit.)

What if he didn't want her at his party? What if he didn't like the gifts? What if he didn't like her? What if she wasn't good enough? What if she just didn't fit in? Was she overdressed? Underdressed? There were so many things that could go wrong in her mind. Perhaps they weren't logical but they plagued her anyways.

("You aren't perfect, then you're not worth anything," they cooed.)

She pushed onward and continued walking anyway. She took quick steps until she reached her destination. She raised her hand to knock on the door but almost withdrew it. Her lip trembled unnoticeably as she sucked in a deep breath and softly knocked on the door.

Then, she waited. She could hear footsteps on the other side of the door. She waited patiently as the door opened slowly. Russia looked out of the door, almost shyly and (Y/n) smiled gently.

"Happy birthday, Russia."

The joy on his face was worth it.

O.o.O

Maybe it was a little embarrassing for Russia as he let a giant smile bloom and tears of joy streamed down his face. (Y/n) looked a little shocked when he bent down and wrapped her in a hug. He felt her flinch minutely and he was worried he had done something wrong. Just as he was about to let go, she put one of her arms around him.

Russia let go after a few long minutes and took a step back. He wiped his tears away and smiled.

"Thank you," he said as he held one of her hands and led her in.

"You don't have to thank me," (Y/n) said.

Russia hummed, "But I would like to, da?"

(Y/n) chuckled quietly and held her present for him, "This is for you."

He blinked and he mechanically took it, mystified.

"Did you know I like sunflowers?" he questioned.

"I've heard about it," she replied.

(That was true.)

Russia laughed, amused, "You're very funny, little подсолнух."

[подсолнух {podsolnukh}: Sunflower (Russian)]

(Y/n) smiled and sat down at one of the chairs.

"Should we eat, now?" she asked.

"Da."

Sometimes, it wasn't enough to remain anonymous. Sometimes, you can't be unseen to help. But that was okay. Simply helping was enough for (Y/n).

Thanks for reading!