Chapter 22/Cold

Set in the current year.

--

When (Y/n) woke up, she felt cold. It wasn't nice. Her fingers felt numb and freezing. She uncomfortably shifted under the thin covers which suddenly felt far to thin to make her warm. The coldness was prickling like little needles digging into her skin. She lifted her numb hand to her forehead and pressed it the back of it against her forehead.

Her forehead was burning up. The was a drastic difference in the temperature which made her draw her hand back hastily. She sneezed quickly before glanced off to the side to check the time. Her vision was blurry and she blinked quickly to try to clear her vision. Her mouth felt dry as the time flashed, leaving blurry after images. What was going on in her country?

(Was it her fault?)

The sound of a door sliding open snapped her out of her thoughts. She looked up to see the hazy figure. She could see blobs of colour as the figure came closer. There was a main red blob that was probably a jacket, a blond blob area for hair and tiny dots of violet for eyes.

"Oh, maple," he murmured.

(Y/n) groaned softly. The sound was fuzzy to her ears, she could only hear bits and pieces. The figure came closer as she shut her eyes. A chilling shiver went down her spine as a hand touched her forehead. The hand moved and grasped her own hand. It felt burningly warm against her cold hand.

(Stop it, stop it, stop it, it burns, it burns, IT BURNS.)

She tried to talk but all that came out was a series of coughs. The figure's hand pulled away from hers though. Her throat felt dry as she attempted to form words to say but she couldn't. The figure backed away and came back a second later. She felt the cold glass of a cup press against her lips. The cup was tilted back and a liquid found its way to her mouth. (Y/n) opened her mouth to let the liquid in once she realized it was water. The drink was refreshing as she drank it. Her vision refocused as the last drop of water was gone. In front of her was Canada with a worried look on his face. He pulled the cup away from her lips and placed it on the table.

"T-than-" (Y/n) started but subsequently ended up coughing.

Canada helpfully patted her back.

"Thank y-you, Canada," she croaked.

(Maybe he was happy she remembered him, but she wouldn't know.)

"You're welcome, (Y/n)," his smile turned concerned.

"I still have your g-gloves," she murmured, "I should return them a-after."

"It's fine, you can return them after you get better," he frowned.

"But-" she protested.

"After you get better," he interrupted.

She sighed, "Very w-well then."

The silence stretched across the room.

"I should get Arthur," he said suddenly, "He should have something t-to help with the fever."

"I don't want to b-bother you both," (Y/n) abruptly shot up.

"You're not bothering anyone," Canada gently said, "Your economy is rather low right now. You can let people take care of you."

"But-"

(I'm not enough, I can't repay you, I'm not good enough for everyone, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm never good enough.)

She cut herself off before she could finish.

She exhaled, "Alright."

Canada smiled, "Don't worry about it, you'll get better sooner, eh?"