Chapter 38/Past Midnight

Haha, I still have no consistent update schedule.

--

(Y/n) woke up with sweat covering her body, her hands clenching the futon and eyes rapidly scanning her surroundings. Her breaths were uneven as she blinked quickly. She took a deep breath and tried to calm herself.

(How long has it been since she's had a nightmare this bad?)

She glanced beside her. Liechtenstein was still fast asleep, unaware of the outside world. She sat still for a few minutes before checking her phone. It was 1:26. (Y/n) didn't think she would be able to fall back asleep so slowly, she picked herself up and took her haori.

She grabbed her keycard and phone before making her way out to the hall. The lights were dimmed with decorative lanterns on, emitting a soft warm tone. Her footsteps were soft as she wandered. Whimsically, she headed down to the extra kitchen that was available to guests. She pushed open the door, unsure of what she would find.

(She hadn't explored this area yet.)

When she walked in, she was greeted with what you would expect from a kitchen as well as tables and chairs. The colour palette consisted of warm browns and blacks. On one of the chairs, there was a person laying against a table.

"Emil?" (Y/n) murmured quietly.

Iceland looked up, his lavender purple eyes swirling with mild discontent.

"(Y/n)?" he tilted his head.

"Why are you up so early?" she asked as she walked towards the chair opposite to his.

"I could say the same to you," he responded dryly.

He didn't stop her from getting closer to the chair so she continued forth and sat in it. She sunk comfortably into the chair.

"Fair enough," (Y/n) smiled, "So, why are you up?"

"I woke up early and couldn't fall back asleep," Iceland leaned back into his chair.

The (h/c)-haired girl hummed and nodded.

"How about you?" he asked, "Nightmare?"

(Y/n) flinched and said, "Could you tell?"

(He winced.)

It was probably from the bags under her eyes or the way she looked, how tired she was or some sixth sense.

"I'll take that as a yes."

"Do-," he paused, "Do you want to talk about it?"

A silence stretched between them. (Y/n) nervously tapped the top of the table. Then, she bit her bottom lip and stopped.

"Sometimes," she began quietly, "I wonder if I am enough."

"I'm trying my best, but sometimes, I just," she sighed, frustrated, "I'm just, not good enough for myself."

Iceland simply stayed quiet. (Y/n)'s breath stuttered as she began to say something but shut her mouth.

"I- I'm sorry," she shook her head, "You don't need to hear about my problems."

(Don't be so greedy. I'm sure he has his own problems. He doesn't need yours.)

"It's alright," Iceland shook his head.

Then, the door opened. Norway stood at the entrance, looking as calm as ever.

"There you are," he said.