Chapter 12/Gifts

Most of this is set in the current year.

--

Canada was invisible.

(Or at least he seemed to be.)

Most if not all people preferred his younger brother, America because America was more cheerful, better, happier, stronger-

(What about him?)

Most people didn't see him and if they did, they always thought he was America.

(But, he wasn't.)

His birthday was always overlooked on July 1 because his brother's birthday was three days later and Alfred's birthday party was always big.

(He never had a birthday party.)

So, Alfred was the one who got all the presents.

(Never him.)

Until one day, on July 1. He thought it would be like all his other birthdays.

(Celebrated alone.)

But, instead, there was a gift at the entrance to his dorm. He had picked up the package and brought it inside, thinking it was for Alfred.

(Everything seemed to be for Alfred.)

Alfred wasn't in the dorm at that time. He was probably out partying. So, Canada glanced over the package and froze when he noticed a note on top.

Written in neat handwriting, with perfect spelling:

To Canada.

(It was for him.)

He peeled the note off to make sure that it was for him. He inspected the note trice to make sure. After reassuring it was for him, he opened the package. Inside was a card and a gift.

The card said:

Dear Canada,

Happy Birthday.

It was simple and unsigned but it made him happy. Someone gave him a birthday present.

(A gift, for him. Not America, him.)

He didn't know who it was from. But, he was thankful. Someone remembered him.

Since that year, every year, on his birthday, he would receive a present from this mysterious person. He cherished each and every gift and birthday card.

But, who was it that gave the gifts to him?

(A question that would leave him hanging.)

He wanted to know so he could thank them.

To him, no matter how many times America might shout that he's the hero, this person was his hero.

(Because they made him feel like he was more than a ghost, more than his brother's shadow.)

O.o.O

(Y/n) knew who Canada was. She personally never really thought about how similar he and America were. It was like mixing up Italy Romano and Italy Veneziano.

(As in they look slightly similar but act completely differently.)

She had noticed how lonely he was due to his invisibility about a month after she arrived at World Academy.

(After the whole school mishap at 2p World Academy.)

In a way, he reminded her of herself.