Chapter 52/Normal

My break was extended even longer but I think online classes/work is going to start soon for me.

--

There was always something pleasant about the bland mundaneness of normal days. The quiet halls while the students were in class, the loud shouts of annoyed nations during lunch, the wandering people going around the school after classes were over. The monotonality was something (Y/n) had gotten used to and appreciated to a degree.

No battles, no wars, no invasions. It was nice. Many of the other nations would agree with her even if they all knew at one point or another, their school time would come to an end.

(It wouldn't be this year, maybe next year, or the year after.)

Regardless, they still enjoyed their time at "school". Today was a regular day, at least, as regular as any day at World Academy was. Classes were almost finished with the teacher letting (Y/n)'s class out half an hour early. The other classes weren't out yet so the halls were fairly quiet.

(Y/n) was walking with Russia who had been in her class. They had dropped off their things at their dorms which surprisingly weren't too far from each other, at least, compared to the other ones.

"How've your other classes been?" she asked.

"They've been alright and you? No one has been bothering you, da?" Russia smiled.

"I've been alright. Had Ludwig sent you the email regarding the study group?"

"Da. Tuesdays and Thursdays in the library. Wednesday for people who need extra help," he recited.

(Y/n) nodded along. The sessions were from 4-5:30 after school and she was pretty sure Germany invited most of the people they knew. Russia and (Y/n) continued walking through the corridor, heading to nowhere in particular. She ran a hand through her (h/c) hair as they walked past the gym.

"Are you worried about your exams?" Russia tilted his head to the side as he asked the question.

"No, not really," she said. "I think I'll be alright."

(At least, hopefully, she added mentally.)

"That's good, da? Repeating classes is very boring," the blond nation cheerily said.

"Have you ever repeated one?"

"Nyet." He shook his head. "But Америка has."

[Америка {Amerika}: America (Russian)]

"Is that so?" (Y/n) murmured. "You two really don't like each other, do you?"

"We despise each other," he confirmed.

What would it be like, (Y/n) wondered, to despise someone so much? She never really felt a great disgust or disdain for anyone. She knew some nations had problems with each other either because of their history together or because of personal reasons. Maybe she would know what it would be like to know someone for so long, to have a history with someone, if only she hadn't practically died and avoided people for so long.

(But what if it ended badly? Many things could happen. Some out of your control.)

"I see," (Y/n) said simply.

They shift away from the topic and continue to talk about several other things. Some were about food, some about classes, some about hobbies.

"I enjoy knitting in my spare time," Russia said as they turned left down the hall.

"Oh? That's nice."

"Do you know how to knit?"

"A bit, but nothing too special."

"It is relaxing, da?"

"Yeah, though I haven't had much time to knit because I've been preparing for exams." She sighed and looked out the window where the snow peacefully came down.

(It's a shame, really.)

"There will be time after exams," he said.

"Of course." A smile found itself on (Y/n)'s face.

The two of them had been wandering around the school for a good while by now. Taking out her phone, (Y/n) quickly checked the time. It was just a few minutes away from three o'clock. She sighed and turned to Russia.

"I'm sorry, I've got to go, I promised Lili I would hang out with her today," she apologized.

"It is okay. I will see you later, da?"

"Yeah, see you later, Ivan!"

She waved as she began to speed walk to Liechtenstein's classroom, leaving Russia alone in the hallway. She had promised Liechtenstein that she would hold an informal tea party with her today at the European nation's dorm. As far as (Y/n) was aware, Liechtenstein had a dorm to herself since Switzerland wasn't allowed to stay with her. Something about not allowing him even if he was her brother.

Even if they didn't directly share a dorm, their dorms were right across from each other. The way dorms worked was that there were several hallways dedicated to just having dorms, the girls were on one side of the hallway while the boys were on the other. There were several empty rooms too.

Some were empty in case a student had an issue with their current room, others in case of guests, and some were just avoided altogether.

(There was a passing rumour (Y/n) once heard that one or a couple of the dorms were haunted.)

(Y/n) squeezed through the students who rushed out of their classrooms. She ducked under a few arms, trying not to get hit in the face with them. She nearly tripped over someone but managed to get through everyone. Finally, she arrived outside Liechtenstein's classroom. The younger European nation was standing outside the classroom beside the door, waiting.

(Y/n) smoothed out her hair and uniform before putting a small smile on her face. Then, she approached Liechtenstein.

"Lili!" she called warmly.

"Hello, (Y/n)," Liechtenstein said, curtsying slightly. Her uniform was perfectly free of wrinkles and not a single strand of hair was out of place. A single turquoise ribbon was tied to her hair. (Y/n) was almost surprised that the blonde nation didn't get trampled on the way out of her class.

"Are we going to your dorm?" (Y/n) asked. Liechtenstein nodded and together, they began to walk. They didn't strike up much conversation while walking but that would be remedied when they had tea.

"Big bruder will be joining us a bit later," she told (Y/n). "I think he said he had business to take care of."

"We'll have to make sure to leave an extra cup for him then," (Y/n) murmured. With a smile, Liechtenstein agreed. Even with exams up and coming, there was still time to relax. Having tea with a friend wouldn't be too bad, now would it? Studying all day and overworking one's self wasn't ideal. So, with a small smile, (Y/n) continued on with Liechtenstein.

The clock was ticking slowly but steadily.

--

I guess this end sort of arc is the exams arc?? No idea but that doesn't really matter, does it? Thanks for reading!