Epilogue (for now)

Dear Diary: 1 year later.......

            It's been a year since I last wrote in here. I have decided that this would be my last entry or epilogue if you will as I sit on the balcony of my home office and watch the snow slowly fall to the ground in beautiful Talkeetna, Alaska. A lot has happened in the past year and I will gladly share all of it with you here because I want you all to understand why I have chosen to finish the diary. When I first started writing I didn't know if anyone would even find my life and the life of my family worth reading. And now here we are some 330 pages and 9 notebooks later and so much has happened to everyone. This last year not being any different. Last I wrote in here, Rogue gave some of our family members the gift of being able to bear children; effectively changing the supernatural world forever. 

            As many predicted, not long after that, Rosalie and Emmett did in fact decide to have children. It took about 4 months after her 'defrost' as we jokingly named it for Rose to conceive and it turned out that she and Emmett would be having twins! Since regular ultrasound couldn't penetrate vampire skin, Kim—who has become my assistant and nurse (more on that later)—was the Watcher version of the ultrasound for me. Everything was of course documented in my medical journals as this new experience was a journey in itself.

            1 month after conception, just as Rogue had predicted, Rose gave birth very naturally to a boy and a girl. The girl she named Vera after her childhood friend and the boy Henry, after Vera's son because her Henry like his namesake was also born with little sprouts of curly hair. It's been about 5 months since the birth and we have two toddlers running around with Sava who is now about the age of a 6 year old. He though part wolf isn't appetizing or an enemy to the twins. They view him as their cousin. Meanwhile, Rose just glows as she has ever since she found out she was pregnant. One thing is for sure, when the twins are older if she and Emmett want to go away on vacation, there is no shortage of babysitters. And something tells us that Amy and Peter may be next on the baby front though there hasn't been a decision made there yet.

            With the birth of the twins, all of Rose's bitterness towards this life was finally put to rest. She had everything she ever wanted and then some. She has become incredibly close to Leah and even closer to Bella. Vera has become Alice's real life sized doll for dress up and such while Henry is a lot like his father and is into everything. He loves riding on my shoulders and even caught a football Jacob tossed to him last week. Though vampires don't sleep, both twins have their own rooms in the main Cullen house where they are required to lie down on beds from 9pm to 7am to rest their bodies per Rogue's recommendation.

            In other news, the Cullen Clinic has been established in Talkeetna. We built it ourselves and I have my state of the art equipment there. It's not that big and only really requires 2 to 3 nurses which are Kim, Michelle, and Corin at the moment with Nessie acting as receptionist/assistant. Both Kim and Michelle have some field medical experience from working with the American Red Cross. As you remember, that's how they met in the first place. Corin has picked up some of it over the years as well. As for Nessie, she has decided to major in nursing and go back to college online as have the other two wolves. Jacob is majoring in Engineering with the help of Rose and Emmett and Seth has decided to major in Business and any questions he has, he can ask Jasper who he's become close with as well as Edward. Since they already did one year in Dartmouth they only had 3 more before they could get their degrees and not think about school for a while. Nessie was the only one thinking of Nursing School possibly after in order to help me more with the clinic and she needed an internship as part of her degree anyways.

            My work schedule was like that of a typical businessman; 9-5pm. Talkeetna being such a small town the biggest alarm we've had thus far other than a case of appendicitis was a severed hand that I successfully reattached. We had tourists so the business in the clinic was at a steady pace yet not insane like the hospitals have been and for the first time in many years, that's just the way I liked it. I was always on-call just in case but it was beyond rare to be called in.

        Meanwhile, Esme and Alexander set up nice "digs" (Jacob's phrase) themselves. Remember how Esme was thinking of publishing a book on her crocheting and other needle work? Well she switched out that idea to open a small shop instead right across the street from my clinic and Alexander joined her in the venture. She sold and donated her items which she made specifically to Alaskan standards to the people that lived in the town as well as to the tourists visiting. Alexander did the same with his paintings. Nobody needed sunsets and beaches when visiting Alaska but a quilt stitched together with Mt. McKinley on it or a watercolor masterpiece of the glaciers were selling like hot cakes. We didn't need the money but it gave both of them an outlet for their hobbies and why not?

        We spent every waking moment enjoying the outdoor splendor. For the first time in our immortal lives, we did things slow. Nothing was rushed; we weren't running around like we were on speed. And that's why I decided to end my diary. It's been a pleasure writing for all of you and knowing you enjoyed it but now is the time I want to spend with my family doing—would you believe it—more 'human' things. We loved hiking, camping, snow showing, we've climbed Mt. McKinley too. Today for example, I'm going to teach Henry how to snow shoe and tomorrow we're going to go climb a glacier. The Watchers only leave if it's on official business which has also been rare.

        Don't get me wrong, we still love running at top speed when hunting or having immortal snowball fights or even playing baseball far out in the wilderness where we know we can make a racket putting Zeus himself to shame and no one will hear us! It's extraordinary! I love it and I feel like a kid again. Esme and Rogue both commented the other day that I have a twinkle in my eye that I never had before and I'm a lot less serious. So as the twilight comes forth, I thank you all, my faithful readers for putting up with me but I hear Henry calling me and I must leave you now.

        I will tie up my diary and put it in a safe place so I may revisit it someday just like I did today when I read through all of the entries before finally knowing what to write and how to say farewell. But now I know. While sitting out here, I have been listening to Nessie sing some songs by Nelly Furtado and one of them; I will put up here because it does show that though all good things come to an end, they can still remain within our hearts. I wish all of you a very pleasant holiday season and may your families bring you as much joy as mine have always brought me. Remember in life, everything is always connected.

Peace be with all of you. Until we meet again.

~Carlisle Cullen

::Keep Reading::