Off Kilter

Dear Diary:                                                                       May 30, 2013

          So you heard about Alice’s Civil War inspired renewal ceremony. I love Alice dearly, but I’m really tired of all of these weddings! Just a lot of work. Maybe I’m just being grumpy because of the week I’ve had at work, but I just wanted some peace and quiet. It’s been a few weeks since we’ve hired the new staff and at first everything seemed to be going well. But then—and I can’t really put my finger on it—things have been a bit off kilter.

          We have a ski party coming up at the hospital, organized by Charlotte, our honor student from TX. She really does love to ski! She’s such a sweetheart. She has started dating a resident from the Gastroenterology Department and they make a very cute couple.

        Melanie from Vancouver has just told us recently that she is expecting, so we had a bit of a luncheon for her. Unfortunately the food we ordered must have not agreed with her because she started feeling a bit sick afterwards; thankfully Ashley was there to give her something for her stomach and she felt better soon after. You never know when you order from these restaurants if things will be fresh. I, of course, made an excuse that I already ate followed by a joke about watching my figure, so no one really pushed me to eat anything.

          This ski party is for everyone working at the hospital, especially doctors and nurses. We are all encouraged to bring our family members and so I’m bringing Esme, Jacob, and Nessie. Keith, Leah, Bella, Edward, Amy, Peter, Corin, and Seth will be going on a “hiking date” that same day. That’s a nice way of saying hiking and hunting. Emmett and Rose were just going to hang out at the house; they didn’t feel like going. Alice and Jasper would still be in Sweden at this point as they’ve extended their trip. Rogue and Alexander, though both avid skiers, have to travel to Montana to check on some Watchers there, and Michelle and her parents don’t ski so they are sitting this one out.

        It’ll give the new staff members a chance to meet our family members and vice versa. Charlotte’s putting it together with the help of Ashley and Betsy. There will be food and racing and just good-natured fun. I’m very much looking forward to it. Besides, Jacob could eat for 3 people!

          We had a very strange run in with one of the nurses, Ashley, when I accompanied Esme to the grocery store to load up on food for our family. We were both in the vegetable section as Esme was looking for the ripest of tomatoes when I had a feeling that someone was watching me. I looked in that general direction and saw Ashley standing there with her little cart full of groceries. I couldn’t quite place the look on her face, but when our eyes met she smiled and walked right over.

“Hi Dr. Cullen! How are you?”she asked with enthusiasm.

“Oh—hello Ashley. I’m fine thanks, and yourself?” I said politely.

“Oh well . . . you know . . . shopping,” she giggled, then looked over at Esme, who was watching us with interest; she looked her up and down with a very measuring eye. Esme noticed but continued smiling. “This must be your wife,” she said.

“Yes, it is. Esme darling, please meet one of our new nurses. This is Ashley from Los Angeles,” I said as Esme walked over smiling and extended her hand which Ashley shook. Something was off about Esme’s face when they shook hands, but I didn’t have an opportunity to ask.

“Welcome Ashley. It’s a pleasure meeting you,” Esme said softly.

“It’s nice to meet you too. Dr. Cullen has told me so much about you,” Ashley told her, no longer smiling. I had no idea what passed between them but I was dying to find out.