The Meeting

Dear Diary:                                          July 4, 2014

          Today is the 4th of July and one would think we’d be having a BBQ and fireworks. But no, Mother Nature decided to give us half a week of some serious torrential downpours this side of the Amazon Rainforest. So our holiday has been postponed until later this weekend. In the meantime, Charlie and Sue are still in Aspen; enjoying a blissful honeymoon. They called twice; once when they first arrived and the other time in the middle of the week to tell us how wonderful everything was and how thankful they were to us for everything we had done for them. It was the very least we could do for our family. And they were family after all. Charlie was Bella’s father and Nessie’s grandfather and Sue was Leah and Seth’s mother.  

           I was in my home office today, looking over some work journals and thinking back on just how much has happened in the last year. Last year on this day we had Nessie throw a temper tantrum of epic proportions, Michelle introduced us to Kim and they were now married, and Rogue nearly hit Alexander with a log for buying her an island which we then all spent a heavenly 11 days on later that month. And Leah got engaged to Keith there! Now they were married, settled in their home in the woods near the others. So much has happened. Not to mention the whole Carrie thing but I try not to think about her and that whole nasty business. It’s over, she’s dead. Happy thoughts only. As I finished thinking that last little tidbit, the door to my study opened and in walked Esme. 

 “Hi honey.” She said with a smile as she laid her purse and a folder down on my desk. I got up and walked over to give her a hug and kiss.

 “Hi sweetheart. How was the meeting?” 

“It went very well. I think we are on the right track and Dan gave me some good pointers for my edit.” She replied after she kissed me back. 

“I see you two are on a first name basis now.” 

“Just makes it easier, you know?” I nodded. 

           I did know yes. Esme had just had a meeting with Dan O’Leary from the publishing company that I had mentioned in the previous entry. O’Leary’s wife had come into Esme’s carnival tent and was very impressed by her crocheting and knitting patterns and told her husband who later showed up to take a look for himself. He too was impressed and told Esme that if she wanted to, he could help her publish a book about her work. Esme jumped at the chance and they’ve been working together on a template ever since. Today was their first official meeting regarding that template. By the sounds of it, all had gone well and Esme was on to her next step. 

           I was very impressed with my wife. She was going to be a published author. Everyone was proud of her, especially Alice who kept hinting that she wanted some credit or a little thank you from Esme in the book since it was the crocheting book she brought from Japan for Esme as a gift that had started her on this path to being an author. Esme smiled and patted her head and promised she was going to do a little message to everyone in the beginning of the book. 

           Meanwhile, we had noticed that the earth tremors were intensifying and could be called earthquakes now. Rogue was on her laptop most days monitoring the USGS’s progress around the area to see the latest updates. She was looking at readings and other graphs that looked like Egyptian Hieroglyphics to the rest of us. I have no idea how she can tell which end is up on those things but she just walked around with a bun on her head and pencils sticking out of them with another one behind her ear. On top of that, her cellphone was now glued to her hand as she would get updates from both the USGS and from Scott Kramer who would let her know the latest on those demon bikers. All we knew was that, when and if there was anything to worry about, we would know.