New Hires

Dear Diary: May 27, 2013

Though visiting friends and family is great, there's really no place like home. It was so nice to be surrounded back in our house and neighborhood with family and Watchers. Rogue and Alexander were still not back, but when Amy spoke with Rogue, she said the latter sounded a lot better. So being home in Greece was really doing her good. We were happy.

Well, I couldn't stay home forever. It was time to get back to work. Still remembering Alice's vision, I went back to the hospital. Bill Connolly had already previously told me the background and names of our new hire nurses, so I was looking forward to meeting them, finally. As I walked into the hospital, I was greeted by our usual residents and nurses. I saw Betsy off in the distance speaking with a new nurse. This one was blond with long straight hair tied back in a professional bun. As if they felt my gaze upon them, they both looked over and Betsy's eyes lit up and she ushered the new nurse over to me for the introductions.

"Good morning, Dr. Cullen. How was your time off?" Betsy asked with a smile.

"Good morning, Betsy. It was great just to spend some time with my family."

"That's great! Dr. Cullen, this is Charlotte. She's our Dallas cowgirl!" Betsy said with a wink and a smile. Charlotte smiled and held out her hand, which I shook.

"Welcome, Charlotte. I hope you like our little town and hospital here. I heard you graduated at the top of your class at SMU," I said with a polite smile.

"Yes, sir! I love Texas and will have that in my blood forever, but I don't like the heat. I actually love to ski." Charlotte spoke with a true Texas accent.

"I am a pretty big skier myself—as are a chunk of my family," I told her.

"Oh, that sounds grand. Maybe we'll do some racing sometime after work to let off some steam." Charlotte belted out a hearty laugh.

Just then two other nurses stepped off the elevator and were brought over to me by our NIC.U director. A third nurse who seemed to be helping a patient with paperwork also walked over until I was surrounded by nurses. The three new ones introduced themselves as Shandy and Carol from New York City, and Melanie from Vancouver. They were sweet women and with the way they were talking, I decided that they were in fact perfect for the NIC.U and told the director so, much to her delight.

So I had Charlotte working under Betsy and one more nurse to meet, who soon rounded the corner being walked toward me by Bill Connolly himself. She had curly blond hair and blue-green eyes. She smiled shyly at me. Since I've already met everyone else, I surmised that this was Ashley from Los Angeles.

"Carlisle, this is Ashley. She will be your other nurse, right along with Charlotte."

"Welcome aboard, Ashley! Look forward to working with both you and Charlotte," I said while shaking Ashley's hand. She had a very firm grip.

"Thank you Dr. Cullen. I appreciate the warm welcome. I think Hanover is the perfect place for me," she said with that same shy smile as she met my gaze.

"OK folks, time to get to work. Patients are waiting. I will see you later," Bill ordered, clapping me on the back and heading back down the hall toward the elevators.

The NIC.U director took her new three nurses upstairs to get them acclimated to their new surroundings, while I had my two new ones waiting for my direction.

"All right ladies, this is a hospital so you'll have to hit the ground running, but Betsy will be by your side if you get lost with anything. Let's start off by seeing the patients that were admitted last night, remember to check their charts before checking their vitals. If medication needs to be administered, please make sure you have Betsy with you until you get the hang of things. Every hospital and office does things differently," I said and looked up at them. They nodded to show they understood.