An Unexpected Unbelievable Miracle

Dear Diary: May 3, 2013

The fact that I'm writing this to you at all means we are all alive and safe. But the way we got here was the most shocking and unbelievable way of all. That day on the field we went through the gambit of emotions, from anger and fear to bewilderment and relief and even more surprise. So much has happened since then; I have so much to tell you but of course I'll start where I left off. The dark figures appeared out of the gloom.

"Hello Carlisle." Aro's gleeful voice sounded from the din.

"Welcome Aro." I said almost forcefully.

"What's the matter Carlisle, not happy to see us?" Caius sneered.

"There's no point for you being here."

"We disagree. You have brought too much attention to our kind. It has been all over the news and your face and that of your lovely granddaughter have been front and center."

"So what? No one knows what we are. We live in a town that was touched by tragedy, we blend well with humans and always have. You really are reaching this time Aro." Edward said pointedly.

"Well we took a vote and we disagree. It is extremely unhealthy for us to be anywhere near the human media." Aro said.

By this time the whole armada of the Volturi had come to a halt a mere 200 hundred yards from us. Jane and Alec were in the front along with Demetri. The three elders were behind them flanked by Felix, the guard, and the two new additions. All looked upon us with dark anticipation. Bella had her shield extended to us all. She and Jane were in a staring match. Jane trying to find some sort of weakness in our shield while Bella was fully concentrating on keeping the shield in place.

"So what now Aro? You've come to destroy my family because of what you perceived to be some form of exposure?" I asked.

"Oh now now friend Carlisle. We don't want to destroy any of you. You are too valuable. All we ask is that you join us. Your family can provide us with a lot of strength." Aro said with a snide smile.

"Oh cut the bull! Basically it's join us or die. That's always been what you have been after isn't it??" Emmett spit out.

"Well naturally. Your family is strong and we need a strong alliance. Otherwise, you are too much of a wild card. We cannot let that go on any longer." Caius said with a sneer.

We all looked at each other. We knew it was about to begin. The guard, Felix, and Demetri prepared themselves in a crouch. Jane and Alec held their hands out as if to hit us with a double whammy. The twins Josh and Jason smiled evilly and also crouched into position.

"So Carlisle, what will it be? Will you and your family join us?" Caius asked.

"Never" I said.

"Never"

"Never"

"Never"

"Never", "Never", "Never", "Never", "Never".

Our family had made their choice and voiced their decisions. We were never going to join them. It was time to fight for our chance to survive. We prepared ourselves for the onslaught.

"As you wish Carlisle. But you're about to lose everything!" Caius said.

"Not without taking out at least half of you first!" Emmett jeered. The Volturi all sneered at us. And I knew it was about to start.

What happened next, no one; not the Volturi and certainly not any of us, could have predicted. Suddenly, Jane, Alec, Demetri, and the twins fell to the ground and started screaming in what sounded like horrific pain. Everyone jumped. They were writhing on the ground, contorted in a horrible way. Everyone was just in total shock and bewilderment because we knew no one standing there could have done anything to them. It was then that Edward and I noticed Aro's face. It went from his usual arrogance to shock and then to extreme fright. It was an expression I've never seen before. Aro looked truly petrified. Caius and Marcus' eyes were also wide. Aro started looking around as if he was searching for something or someone. Then he stepped forward and screamed: