What If? (Bella's POV)

***Congratulations Autumn Vess again on winning the plot contest. This entry is based on your winning idea. It was tweaked so it wouldn't look like Edward's Diary. I hope you and everyone else likes it. ~xoxo Olga***

Dear Diary:                                                                   October 8, 2013

            It's been a few weeks since the funeral and I couldn't bear to even look at the things of my mother's that were now in the Cullen attic. I just avoided that area altogether and just got lost in my school work. My second year at Dartmouth had started recently and there was a ton to do. Edward, Rosalie, and Emmett were in school with me so I wasn't alone but it was still kind of strange to have the looks and whispers, even after the first year.  Most now paid us no mind as the campus was massive and it was very easy to get lost on it without running into too many people more than once unless you had multiple classes together.

            One morning, it was particularly gloomy and Nessie was late for school so Edward and I decided to drop her off on our way to do errands before our own classes that evening. The new Hanover High School was very close to the Hanover Elementary school so when it was morning or afternoon rush hour, it seemed like a mass exodus from two schools which finished relatively close in time. Because Nessie was running late, there was barely a soul in sight. Jacob, Leah, Seth, and Michelle were already in class and though had asked to wait for Nessie, were told to go on ahead as it would look suspicious if 5 people were late for the same class.

            So after dropping Nessie off and seeing her jog into the new building which I might add looks a lot nicer and more modern then the old one. That one was totally razed and a beautiful memorial is in the works of being constructed in its place to commemorate that horrific day. I shuddered at the thought and Edward, who was behind the wheel raised an eyebrow at me. I let him into my mind to show him what I was thinking and he nodded once. So we ran our errands and then toward the end of the day, got a phone call from Jake.

"Hey Jake what's up?"

"Nessie didn't want to come home with us."

"What do you mean she didn't want to come home with you?"

"She wouldn't explain but she wanted all of us to leave and that she would wait for you to pick her up. The others left but I kind of hid so she wouldn't see me."

"What is she doing?" I asked as Edward continued to look on with a puzzled expression as he listened to both sides of the conversation.

"She's standing very close to the playground of the elementary school watching the kids play, just smiling."

"I see. Ok well, go home Jake, we're only 3 minutes away, we'll pick her up. Thanks for letting me know."

"No problem, Bells."

            With that, we hung up and I knew he was going to phase and run himself home. Meanwhile, we pulled up to the school and saw Nessie just as Jake had described her; standing by the playground smiling at the playing children. Edward stayed in the car, while I got out and walked slowly up to my daughter. As I approached she must have heard me but didn't turn around.

"Hi mommy."

"How did you know it was me?" I asked curiously.

"You're wearing that perfume daddy and I got you for Valentine's Day." She said with a smile. 

"Jake said you weren't going home with the others. Why not?"

"I just wanted to watch them play and think."