Independence Day ~ Cullen Style

Dear Diary:                                                                        July 4, 2013

"I AM NOT A KID ANYMORE!! STOP TREATING ME LIKE ONE! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE SUCH A BIG DEAL OVER THIS??? IT'S STUPID!"

I was sitting in my home office looking over some journals while Esme was sitting on the window seat looking out the window when we heard that followed by the slamming of the front door. We looked at each other. Hmmmm. Trouble in paradise?

"Renesmee Carlie Cullen! Don't you dare speak that way to your mother and I!"

Edward's voice was heard as the door was opened and slammed yet again. Time to go see what was going on before we no longer had a front door! Esme nodded as we both exited the office and were met in the hallway by a concerned looking Rosalie and a very puzzled Emmett. The four of us trouped downstairs as Edward and Nessie faced off in the living room. She was as red as a tomato with her arms crossed over her chest. Bella was standing behind Edward with a half angry half concerned look on her face.

By then most of the family was gathered in the living room. Alice looked very upset which of course made Jasper unhappy. Leah and Seth came in after hearing the screeching from their cabin. Leah went to stand by Bella's side and touched her arm in a comforting manner. Bella rolled her eyes at Nessie. Jacob was looking miserable on the couch. What on earth had happened? Reading my mind, Edward explained:

"Renesmee here wants to wear an outfit for her 15th birthday that both Bella and I feel is inappropriate for someone her age. It's too revealing. Alice found it but didn't want to show it to Renesmee because she knew how Bella and I would react, but she found it somehow and said she would wear it without our permission." Edward finished the last part through clenched teeth.

Ah. The joys of parenting. I sighed and shook my head as Esme smiled.

"It is NOT too revealing.....it has flowers on the back! It's not like I will be going out in it! I'll be here at home with everyone!" Nessie retorted still looking angry.

"I don't care if it has ducks on the back of it; it shows way too much skin for a girl your age! And that's the last we will have on this subject! Alice and Michelle can help you pick out something age appropriate." Bella said firmly.

"Oh you mean something with pigtails and white cotton all the way to my ankles so I look like a nun??" Nessie said in a nasty sounding voice which surprised us all.

"Ness, come on.....your parents are right. But anything you wear you will look beautiful in." Jacob stepped in to try and smooth things over only to get his head bitten off.

"Oh shut up Jake! No one was talking to you! You don't know anything about this!" She yelled at him making his eyes bug out.

"ENOUGH! RENESMEE SHUT YOUR MOUTH RIGHT NOW OR YOU WON'T EVEN HAVE A PARTY! YOU'RE VERY CLOSE TO HAVING EVERYTHING CANCELLED; YOU GOT THAT??"

Surprising us all, it was Bella not Edward who screamed that part so loud even Edward jumped. Nessie looked at her with wide round eyes and her mouth hanging open. Hell, we were all looking at her like that! Bella's eyes were blazing as she took a menacing step toward her daughter that made Nessie scramble back a step. She was used to Bella being the one who smoothed things over when Edward laid down the law. She had never seen her mother that angry. Now Nessie was looking more scared then angry. We all stood firm where we were without betraying our emotions. But inside I knew all of us were cheering; way to go Bella!!!

"Renesmee, you are given anything and everything you need and want always. I will not have you turning into a spoiled brat because of something we didn't want you to wear, do you hear me?? There are people out there that don't have birthday parties or any clothes to wear to them for that matter. Not everyone gets what they want all the time! You don't want us to treat you like a child so quit acting like one!" Bella said each word slowly looking at Nessie without blinking.