Trying Something New

Dear Diary: June 13, 2013

Holy crap! Marcus! I know I was not the only one with the stunned expression. As everyone stood frozen, someone had to say something. I realized that someone would have to be me.

"Marcus! Um . . . I'm sorry for the silence but it's just so shocking to see you here," I finally managed to get out, trying to shake the cobwebs that seemed to have blocked a path between my brain and mouth.

"I'm sorry, Carlisle. I didn't mean to startle you or your family. I've been coming this way for a while. I finally made up my mind after speaking with Rogue," Marcus answered still holding his hands up towards the wolves.

"You spoke with Rogue? When?" Edward asked.

"A week ago I would say. I finally got the handle on those cell phone things. She had come by to see me when she was in Greece resting. She told me about the Children of the Moon. Nasty business, that. So she gave me her number and told me to call her if I needed anything. I always admired her. Alexander is a very lucky man. So I called her a week ago and she said that she and the others were leaving and I could come see you," he explained.

At that point before we continued to question him, I waved off the wolves so Marcus wouldn't be so stilted. He nodded toward me and relaxed as the wolves sauntered back into the forest to phase back and put some clothes on. We were also joined by the others from their hike, and to say they were surprised to see Marcus, was an understatement.

Just looking at Marcus made me think a lot has changed since we last saw him. For starters his hair was a lot shaggier looking, and it also appeared shorter. He looked like he had a bit of stubble on his face; he probably drew it or had something put on that was fake. Whatever it was, it looked pretty authentic. He was wearing a white shirt with rolled up sleeves about 1/4th up each arm. He wore jeans that looked slightly faded and they were tucked into tan cowboy boots. He had a chain of some sort around his neck and a leather bracelet on one wrist and a watch with a leather strap on the other. A picture of the before and after is above.

Marcus was actually looking modernized and quite handsome. Edward heard my thoughts and nodded his agreement. Marcus' eyes were pitch black, however, and that worried me. Why hadn't he fed? Finally, I invited Marcus into the house. We were doing what Jacob would often describe as "standing around like freaking statues." It was time to sit down and hear the rest of this story as, obviously, there was more of it or he wouldn't have come here. Once everyone was inside and seated or comfortable at least we waited for Marcus to tell us what he was doing here. Emmett and Jasper still stood by him just in case he would try something though it seemed highly unlikely considering how outnumbered he was.

"I know you are wondering what I'm doing here. I obviously haven't come to harm you. Actually, I have decided to leave Greece altogether. There is nothing for me there anymore. I can't live there because it reminds me of Didyme and I can't go back to Volterra because that's not home either. So after careful consideration, I decided to try something new. I wanted to come here and learn from you, Carlisle." He gestured toward me.

"What do you mean?" Bella asked.

"I want to try this 'vegetarian' lifestyle of yours. I realized that you were right all along, Carlisle. When you first came to us all those centuries ago and tried to persuade us to change our food—so to speak—we should have listened. I should have listened. Killing humans for their blood isn't good enough for me anymore. That's why my eyes are pitch black. I haven't fed in a long time. I couldn't stomach anymore what I used to eat," he said. We were all astonished by this revelation of course.