Learning

Dear Diary:                                                                         June 14, 2013

          Having Marcus here has been interesting. He's gone hunting with us a few different times and with different sets of people. All have agreed that he's a natural. As we get to know him better, we're finding a lot of really cool things behind the façade. I really want to find out more about his history from the beginning but I know that it would remind him of Didyme and that's still a pretty sore subject so I'm leaving well enough alone. The other day we were hanging around the backyard; well most of us anyways. The Denali's were still here. Leah and Bella went on their usual hike. Nessie had gone to the Dartmouth campus to learn how to take photos with Rose and Alice. That left the rest of us to just chill.

          Emmett and Jacob were wrestling while Seth acted as the referee. Jasper and Edward were busy arguing politics with Garrett. Kate and Esme were looking on and rolling their eyes at the men, while Esme was showing Kate her by now dog-eared crocheting book that Alice had gotten her in Japan. I was alone on the porch sitting in a rocking chair I had recently purchased. I usually don't buy or pick out furniture on my own but I was walking downtown with Marcus as part of his test of being around humans and not wanting to eat them; he passed with flying colors. But I digress. So we were walking along and in one of those vintage stores, I noticed this beautiful oak rocking chair. We went in and after purchasing it, I brought it home much to the surprise of Esme. But she fell in love with it instantly. So now I was enjoying my book, on the porch, in my new chair.

          Tanya was sitting on our two person swing in the backyard by herself, but what got my attention was that very soon Marcus joined her. He was very hesitant. I really hope Tanya would give him the benefit of the doubt. Having super hearing meant everyone could hear everyone's conversations, but we always tried to ignore so people could at least get some sort of privacy. When Marcus walked over to Tanya he spoke first startling her; she was lost in thought.

"Is this seat taken?" Marcus asked Tanya quietly.

"Ah . . . no . . . no, it's not," she stammered.

"May I?"

"Yeah . . . s-sure."

"Thank you." He sat next to her.

        They were both quiet for a while, while the rest of us continued with what we were doing. Emmett and Jacob's grunting and yelling drowned out any conversation anyways.

"I . . . uh . . . wanted to tell you that I was very impressed with your hunting skills," Marcus told her. He looked at her sideways as if afraid to even turn to her.

"Really? Thanks. It's nothing special," Tanya said with a shrug.

"I would have to politely disagree," Marcus said with a small smile.

"You know, you should smile a lot more—it really lightens up your face," Tanya said softly and then looked down.

"Thank you. I will try. When I'm in your presence, smiling comes easily," he said boldly. If Tanya could have blushed she would have.

          Then Marcus stopped. He frowned and realized that he was vibrating. His phone was in his pocket again and it was going off. He fished it out and looked at it.

"It's Alexander," he said to Tanya then picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"Marcus, it's time to tell them," Alexander said on the other end. That got all of our attention. Everyone stopped what we were doing and looked at Marcus with raised eyebrows.

"Are you sure?" Marcus asked clearly unsure.

"Yes. It will help you with your future."

"All right, I will."