Looking Back Part II ~The Date

Dear Diary:
April 22, 2013

As I was writing the entries, Esme walked into my study. She didn't say a word. She looked at the diary, then at me. She smiled. I then noticed that she was carrying something in her hands. I looked at it and realized it was her diary. It was my turn to smile, though I'm sure I was already doing just that. I can't help but smile whenever she's near. Esme's diary and mine are quite different looking and yet each convey our personalities perfectly. Hers is this beautiful hunter green suede with golden lettering and a design like that of a forest. Mine though also suede additionally has leather and is brown and burgundy. It was so sweet for Edward and Bella to get both of us these beautiful journals to chronicle our daily lives in. Esme was very excited when she received hers on our anniversary. I have to admit I wasn't sure what to do with mine. Until now.

As I looked at her beautiful eyes, she sat near me, and opened her diary to a blank page. She was going to write her next entry. Usually she sits outside on the swing that is attached to one of the big trees we have in the backyard. Today though, she wanted to sit with me. I'm definitely not complaining. The best part of our relationship is that we don't have to say anything to each other and we still know what the other is thinking and feeling. So as I watched her pen start to fly over the page, I got back to the entry I was writing.

Where was I? Oh yes, I had just asked Esme to go out with me. Oh boy. Talk about a heart pounding moment. I shook my head and let my thoughts drift back to that day.

November 5, 1921

"Esme, will you do me the honor of going out with me?"

I waited tensely as what I had just asked was digested by Esme. Her beautiful eyes went wide and if she could have blushed, I'm sure she would have been as red as a tomato. I was still holding her chin and was looking at her with so much longing that she knew she had to answer me. Finally she stammered out a "Y-Yes-s" and smiled. I hugged her. And she giggled. It was the cutest giggle ever.

I felt like I was a teenager. Talk about floating on cloud nine. My heart soared into the heavens. I could do this. I could make Esme happy.

"Do you have a place in mind?" she asked.

I thought for a moment. Since she had only recently been transformed, I knew she wasn't ready to interact with humans just yet so after thinking for another fraction of a second,

"How about a picnic in the woods?" I said.

"Wait, but vampires don't eat human food."

I laughed. "Who said anything about human food?"

I could tell she was extremely puzzled. But I had already figured it all out in my head. I asked her if tomorrow would work for her and she nodded eagerly.

"Wonderful. I'll get everything ready and come and get you."

I was beyond ecstatic. I was going make this a picnic she was never going to forget!

November 6, 1921

I'd been running around like a mad man making sure everything was perfect. I knew Esme was up in her room getting ready. I was wondering what she was going to wear. As vampires we don't get cold so even when it seems like cold weather for humans, we can wear summer clothes. Of course we don't when we are in the presence of humans so they don't start wondering about us.

But I digress, so I finished getting the location all set and flew to get Esme. I knocked on her door and waited. I was surprised to find myself breathing heavily. I didn't really need to breathe let alone like I was running out of air.