Woof

Dear Diary: October 17, 2014

It's been a few weeks since the birth and things have been very happy and bright here in our household. The night of the birth or the day after I should say; Keith and Leah with the help of Sue buried the placenta behind their house. Sue did some chanting while this was happening. In most Native American cultures, if the placenta is buried behind the house it is a way of protection of the baby and the family from the Gods and their ancestors. Also at birth, Sava weighed a very healthy 8 lbs and 9 oz. He was a bit plump but not too bad and what we found very interesting was that when he breastfed, his eyes remained open, staring. Like he didn't want to miss a single moment of the world he was a part of.

Unlike Nessie, Sava was a fussy sleeper. Leah had to be with him and so was Keith as he fell asleep but he took to his nursery immediately and they didn't have to worry about him sleeping in a little bassinet in their room. When they first showed him the nursery, he was in awe of it despite only being a few days old which again reminded us that he was not a regular human baby. His growth was a lot slower than Nessie's had been but still much more accelerated then a humans'. Just like Nessie, I weighed and measured him every day. But unlike Nessie where there had been uncertainty and concern, we had delight.

Rogue had already told us not to worry. Instead we were all focused on the baby changing before our eyes and looking forward to Halloween in a few weeks. Last year Halloween was not as fun as it should be, what with Carrie's execution and all. But this year we had something new to celebrate and Rogue's birthday of course, though she did ask us not to do anything special. We decided that since Sava was going to be toddler size by then, we would all just go trick or treating in our neighborhood. Something we had not ever done previously before though plenty of kids showed up at our door and were usually given candy by Alice or when we were still in Forks, we would sometimes do a haunted house in our own house for the neighborhood kids. That was a possibility too.

There was still some time to think about that including what kind of costume Sava would wear. But that's where you guys come in. Instead of letting Alice just pick something for Sava; I want you guys to pick and choose what Sava will wear. The contest has already been set up; all you have to do is pick and vote. I hope it's something adorable. Good luck! But I digress. We have plenty of time to think about Halloween.

In other news, the snow that fell on the night that Sava was born had already melted and autumn returned with a touch of spring. Jacob muttered that Mother Nature was bipolar and I didn't disagree with him. Sue was still with us as she wanted to stay with her grandson for as long as possible though she did miss Charlie a lot. They spent a lot of time on the phone each night and even Skype which she taught him to use before she left. Charlie was never Mr. 21st Century so some things he needed to learn and though he grumbled, being away from his wife wasn't fun so he put up with all the new technology.

Not that he had a smartphone or anything; even members of his staff at the Mayor's office teased him about the fact of how behind on everything he was. In order to run for Mayor he had to learn basic computer software skills like email and Microsoft Office. He kept grouching about how stupid the computer was. That's Charlie for you, nothing changes. But he was a wonderful Mayor and the townspeople were glad he was in office as he solved problems quickly and efficiently. There was talk that he may run for governor but he put those rumors to rest saying, being Mayor was as high as he wanted his political campaign to run and that after it was over, he would retire altogether; which suited him and Sue just fine as both were grandparents now.

Again I digress. As news of the birth reached far and wide, the Denali clan came to see this new hybrid for themselves. They were instantly all besotted by him. Sava however, played favorites and for some unknown reason, he seemed to gravitate toward Marcus more. No one could figure out why, least of all Marcus who didn't know the first thing about children. Poor Marcus was always panicked when Sava would reach out for him but Leah and Tanya would help him out as best as they could. Sava was able to stand up in his crib on his own about 2 weeks after birth. He hadn't managed the art of climbing over the rails yet much to Leah and Keith's relief but he was getting there.