Same

April 6, 20XXMonday

April 6, 20XX
Monday

I almost didn't come into work today,

but I wasn't going to just run away again.

Just like Jungkook said, I needed to confront my emotions, I needed to stand up for myself, (but most importantly) I needed answers and closure.

I thought long and hard over the weekend, setting my phone aside to just spend some time with Yejoon outside.

He's become my daily dose of medicine. It's amazing how much a hug or a cute smile can fill me up with so much love and bliss. It's enough to temporarily heal my pain and anger.

Today, I came to work with the purpose to confront Sungjae. Irene knew about the two of us at the club and she knew about the kiss that almost happened. Sungjae's the only variable we have in common.

Why would he tell her?

Walking over to our desk, I see that his is empty.

Ga-in who's passing by in the hall, pokes her head in, stirring her cup of coffee.

"You're early."

I smile at her. "Yeah, I just head an early morning today."

"Did you guys have fun?"

I raise an eyebrow her way, a bit puzzled.

She smiles. "Come on. The two of you left work early Friday, right? Were you playing hooky together."

I watch her sip her coffee as she leans against the door frame. 

Slowly, I shake my head. Was she talking about Sungjae?

She chuckles, pointing to Sungjae's empty desk with her chin. "If you're looking for him, he went to Irene's office."

I thank her before setting down my purse on my chair, hesitating about going up there.

There are a million reasons why he could be up there...

Just give him the benefit of the doubt.

I sigh before I let go of my purse strap, quickly heading towards her office. 

I'll just pass by and act like I entered a different way today.

My heart drums against my chest, feeling a bit of a rush at the thought that I could catch something.

Slowing down, I fix my hair, casually glancing towards her office.

I expected to catch Sungjae, but instead, I see Taehyung in there.

It's none of my business...

I walk by, but instead of passing, I give in and lean against the water dispenser, hiding behind it.

"What do you mean you don't want to go to the conference?" Irene lets out a frustrated sigh.

Taking a look, I see Taehyung lean back in her chair, Irene leaning on her desk.

"You know why."

"Taehyung," she whines quietly, standing up to lean over his chair.

"Please?"

He sits there quietly, just staring back at her.

"For me?" 

He looks down at his hands. 

"Didn't you say, you would try? For "us"."

I bite down hard on my lip.

Taehyung gives her a small smile, "...Fine."

Irene throws her arms around Taehyung with relief, Taehyung slowly bringing his arms up to wrap around her.

I look away, exhaling slowly, trying to be as quiet as I can.

This confirms it then...

I take a deep breath as I try to walk away before they catch me around and as I do, I catch Sungjae around the corner, leaning against the wall. 

He doesn't even move when he notices that I caught him doing the same as me. 

Instead, he stares at the wall across, his eyes watery, holding the same emotions like mine.

"Sungjae...what are you..."

"Same as you." He swallows hard before turning to meet my eyes. 

I can't help but frown, not understanding.

He stands tall, hands in his pocket as he looks down at me.

"I was just looking for you..."

He smiles, shaking his head, wiping the tear from his eye. "Then why were you listening to them? Why do you have that expression on your face?"

I realize that Sungjae has come to know me so well, that my words can't fool him anymore.

"I already know...because you and I...we're the same."

"Is it Irene?" 

Why is it always her?

What is it about her?

Sungjae catches me off-guard by wiping away my tear, one that has formed out of frustration more than anything else.

"Jennie..."

Sungjae smiles, leaning down close to me,

"Do you want to know why I work here, now?"