Lost

April 1, 20XXWednesday

April 1, 20XX
Wednesday

Lisa: I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE WORKING RIGHT NOW. 

I chuckle as I read the incoming text.

Lisa: YOU'VE LEFT ROSE AND I TO DEAL WITH JIN AND JISOO ALONE

"What's so funny?" Sungjae asks, peering over my shoulder at me, wide smile on his face.

I turn my head, catching Sungjae and I just centimeters apart.

"O-oh...." Sungjae quickly pulls back, standing up.

I keep still, nervously nibbling on my lip. "Um, Lisa just texted me. She's upset that I left her and Rose feeling like third wheels."

Sungjae laughs, taking a seat at the computer next to me to get back to editing.

"Sungjae?"

He swivels in his chair, quirking up an eyebrow.

"How did you get hired here?"

He looks  up to the ceiling, humming as he thinks.

My eyebrows raise.

He rests his head on his shoulder, swiveling about in his chair as he looks at me with a tiny smile. "Long story...I'll tell it to you one day."

I don't press for more information. 

Sungjae's watch starts beeping, as he looks down at it to read the notification.

Throwing up his arms, he cheers. "Lunch break!"

I look at the time on my computer, confirming it's true. "Sungjae, you set an alarm for your lunch break?"

He rubs his hands together, "Of course. 5 minutes early too."

I laugh.

"Well then," jumping up, Sungjae points forward, "Shall we go to the cafeteria?"

Turning to close the tabs open on my computer, I see an email come in.

It was marked urgent from Irene. 

I frown as I open it up.

"Jennie?" Sungjae tilts his head.

"I'll... I'll catch up," I say noticing one of the items on the long list is wanted in 5 minutes.

"I can wait."

Shaking my head, I give him a reassuring smile. "Can you get to the tomato basil soup for me? They ran out yesterday. I was so sad!"

Sungjae chuckles. "Alright, leave it to me."

He salutes me before striding towards the cafeteria.

I look back over at the list of tasks Irene created for me, quickly getting started on the top of the list. 

Does she really need all this done by today?

Does she think I'm not doing anything at my job?

Closing out my e-mail, I stand up and wrap my cardigan around me, trying to find my way towards the cafeteria.

I keep taking turns around the building, but after a couple more, I accept that I'm lost.

"Oh gosh." I pull out my phone, texting Sungjae to come find me.

Entering a hall with glass windows from ceiling to floor, I take a look outside.

It's a cute little courtyard.

I push open the door that leads out. I gently kneel down by the flowers growing in the side garden.

Sunflowers.

"You're my sunflower, Jennie."

I reel back my hand, stung by the memory of Taehyung saying that to me.

My ear suddenly picks up some humming in the courtyard. Standing up, I start to follow it, leading me the person sitting on a bench.

He's staring straight ahead, eyes vacant, but the tears at the corners visible.

"Taehyung?"

He clenches his hands into fists, slowly looking over my way.

He bows his head down, chuckling lightly.

"Sorry," he whispers as he apologizes.

I don't know what to do.

All I can do is just stand there.

He finally picks up his head. "I come out here sometimes to think...and to get away."

"Get away?" I softly repeat.

He nods, looking off in front of him again. "Right, to get away from the facade."

Lowering his head again, his voice cracks slightly, "I'm so tired."

Tears start to brim my waterline. I quickly get it together, rolling my eyes to get the tears to disappear.

A social media specialist isn't supposed to feel this way about the president.

"Jennie!"

I turn over to see Sungjae at the doorway.

"I'm so glad I found you, though I'm shocked because this place isn't-"

Sungjae walks closer, Taehyung now coming into his view.

His smile falters slightly before he jerks his head back my way.

"I got you your favorite soup. Ready for lunch?"

Marching over, his hand slips into mine, gently pulling me with him.

Stumbling after him, I let him lead me away.

Peeking over my shoulder, I see Taehyung's sorrowful eyes starting back at us two.

Part of me was thankful Sungjae pulled me away,

but part of me just felt...

lost.

_______________________

authors note;;

Sorry for the delay on this double-update. This was so hard to write because I got sucked up in bangbangcon. The wings tour is my favorite tour and I just screamed my lungs out watching it.  I hope this chapter tugged at your heartstrings.