Hanahaki

March 28, 20XXSaturday

March 28, 20XX
Saturday

I don't know what lead up to this point.

Not sure if it was when I bumped into Irene at the supermarket and she stared at me and Yejoon with a tiny smirk etched on her face while she played pretend that she didn't recognize who we were.

Or if it was when my eyes saw Taehyung on the cover of a stack of newspaper, the title reading "Korea's young artist returns!", sending a wave of nausea over me.

Or if it was the moment I rushed straight to Jungkook's house, eyes full of tears, and throat burning as I tried to keep it together,
Yejoon asleep in his car seat beside me as I rang Jungkook's doorbell to no mercy.

Or was it seeing Taehyung on his couch when Jungkook swung open the door? Sitting there like he normally would've, his hand no longer wearing the wedding band that matched my own.

"Jennie-"

"Watch Yejoon," I respond to Jungkook as I carefully place the carrier by the couch, marching over to stand in front of Taehyung, chest rising and falling heavily.

He looks up at me slowly, his eyes remaining locked with mine before breaking eye contact and looking away, his hands pushing up to stand.

I angrily shove him back on the couch.

"Jennie!" Jungkook cautions, carefully rocking the car seat.

I glare at Jungkook, sniffling.

Turning back towards Taehyung, I point to the carrier.

"Do you know who's in there?"

Taehyung's eyes look over, his hands nervously gripping onto his pants.

"That's your son."

His lips part, but he soon shuts his mouth again, swallowing hard.

"And do you know who I am?"

For a moment I thought I saw a wave of recognition flicker over his eyes, but I can't be hopeful.

"I-I'm your wife." I cover my face, shaking my head before whispering, "At least, I used to be."

I hear Yejoon start to cry and I feel terrible at waking him up. I feel terrible in general for falling apart and taking it out on Taehyung.

But can you blame me?

"I'll give you two your space. I'll be in my room feeding Yejoon." Jungkook talks quietly as he takes out Yejoon, carrying him up the stairs to his room.

I wrap my arms around myself, not bothering to look at Taehyung anymore, his silence killing.

Taking in a deep breath, I take off my wedding ring, holding my hand out to him.

He slowly reaches out, opening his palm so I can drop it in there.

I give him a sad smile.

"Was I a bad person?" Taehyung slowly stands up, his hand turning over the ring.

I look up at him. "No, the opposite. That's why it hurts so much."

That you decided to forget me...

"Hows Irene?"

Taehyung raises an eyebrow at me. "Irene...?"

I tear up angrily, "Yeah, do you like her?"

Taehyung isn't stupid enough to answer, he looks me in the eyes and knows that he shouldn't.

"Why couldn't it have been me?" I ask no one in particular.

Taehyung looks at me, confused.

"Why couldn't I have forgotten everything?! Why do I have to keep living with this pain? With our memories? Without you?"

I can't hold it in any longer, reaching out to grab his shirt and tug him closer.

"Just tell me right now, if I have any hope that you'll remember me," I beg him, slowly tilting my head up at him. Taehyung looks down at me, his eyes full of sadness as well.

"I can't promise that." He drops his arms to the side of him, no longer stretched out to catch me if I fall.

I let go of him, wiping my tears away furiously. "Fine! Then do me a favor and don't bother remembering me at all!"

Taehyung flinches at my words, but I don't care.

"Don't think that in 3 years you can just decide to remember everything and waltz back into my life and Y-yejoon's! Not when I did it all by myself!"

I notice a tear roll down Taehyung's face and I can't help but let my own stream down my cheeks.

"And not when you're not even trying right now. Am I supposed to let you be with someone else and play along with the excuse that you aren't yourself?"

"I'm n-not with anyone..." Taehyung clears his throat, his voice shaky.

I shake my head, taking steps away from him. "Even before you made excuses to be with her. If you fall in love with her now it's because you had her in your heart the moment you got in that accident...instead of me!"

Taehyung reaches out for me, grabbing my arms tightly to keep me from flailing them any more.

"S-stop... you don't mean that."

"Does it matter if it's true? If we were to kiss right now...would you feel anything?"

Taehyung's eyes get bigger, his hands gripping me tighter.

I can only glare up at him.

His eyes suddenly drop down to my lips, his head then lowering to take them for his own.

Taken back by how seriously he was kissing me, I gasp.

He moves his lips slowly, lightly holding my lips between his own, treating them like they were made of glass and that if he applied a bit more pressure, it would shatter.

I was afraid to pull away, afraid that our kiss would end because the moment our lips touched, he had quieted the hunger inside me that had longed for his sweet kisses once again.

Only this time, things felt different.

Pulling away, we lock eyes, nothing changing for him, but something changing in me.

"Why did you do that? Why did you really..?" I push away from him, afraid to see his face once more because if a kiss couldn't fix things, what could?

"I'm sorry..."

"Just forget me, please...and I'll do the same."

I turn to run up the stairs to Yejoon, and away from him.

I thought one kiss was all it would take for me to move on.

Yet, it only made me realise...

That if hanahaki was a real disease,

There would be no hiding it,

I would be growing flowers that couldn't blossom,

In a sweet dream that could never come true.