Discharge

March 23, 20XXMonday

March 23, 20XX
Monday

Finally....

It's discharge day.

After all the smothering, I finally get to leave and be on my own.

I sigh as I clutch onto my shirt.

All alone...

There's a knock on my door and I quickly compose myself.

"Hey, sweetie- Oh, isn't he precious?!" My mom walks in and immediately is drawn to Yejoons outfit.

I smile softly.

I had put him in a cute "going home" outfit - a soft, fuzzy newborn romper.

My dad walks in moments later with the car seat hung on his forearm.

"Now I remember why we didn't have any more children."

I laugh at him.

"So, have you made a decision?" My mom asks me as she takes Yejoon into her arms.

My breath hitches.

She's referring to where I will be staying.

My house or Taehyung's?

Before I could answer, the nurse walks in to the suite.

"Excuse me, Mrs. Kim. Would you mind signing out the discharge papers. Looks like the doctor already finished checking you out."

I slip out of bed, giving my mom a look telling her I'll be back with her answer afterwards.

Following the nurse to the front, I end up waiting at the desk while she prints stuff at the back office.

Nervously thinking about my decision, I can't help but play with my wedding band.

If I go back to Taehyung's, it'll be like living with a stranger. I'll also have no one on my side.

If I go back to my place, I won't have a nursery and I won't be able to repair our memories together, but I'll have a support system.

I sigh softly.

"Okay, Mr. Kim, I'll be back shortly."

Looking up, I connect eyes with Taehyung. 

I stiffen.

He's leaning over the desk, resting his chin on his forearm. It takes a couple of seconds before he connects his eyes with mine.

I may have imagined it, but I want to believe that his eyebrows rose slightly as his soft eyes set on me.

Do you remember me?

Taehyung runs his tongue across his lower lip, awkwardly shifting his eyes back down on the desk.  

My heart falls along with my eyes.

I guess I was imagining it.

"Okay, you're all set." The nurses both come out at the same time, each calling our names.

They look at each other in surprise before looking at the paperwork.

I wait for what's coming.

"Are you two married?"

Taehyung's lips part, but he doesn't say anything. Instead, he reaches for the paperwork and walks away.

It'll be a lie if I say that I didn't feel a sting at my heart.

"Thank you." I tell the nurse as I take the paperwork, making my way back to my room.

Guess I'm going to go home.

Placing my hand over my racing heart, I try to sooth the sting, my throat burning slightly.

It only takes a bump against my shoulder to send me staggering forward.

"Oops, are you okay?" 

The person's steady hands hold out, ready to catch me if I fall.

"I'm fine." I wipe my eyes away and try to stabilize my voice.

He laughs a little, "Hey, you! I really needa get my vision checked."

Confused, I look up at who's talking.

Sungjae?

He grins and shakes his head, his shoulders raising up high before falling as he sighs. "I keep bumping into poor little sad you."

I quickly wipe my tears. 

"Though, if you keep crying, why haven't you used my services?"

"Hm?"

"1-1-6," He snaps his fingers in front of my face. "I told you to come see me, didn't I?"

Right, I had forgotten after everything that went on.

He studies me, his mouth twisting to the side before he turns slightly on his heel.

"I won't ask."

I tilt my head at him.

"I won't ask why you're sad. I probably know anyway. But asking won't change anything."

I keep staring at him.

He smiles widely. "I won't even offer my apologies."

My eyes widen.

Standing up tall, he holds out his hand. "Let's be friends, seriously. Just like you, I'm going through a tough time, so I know how it feels. I think that there shouldn't be two sad people in the world."

I slowly reach out to take his hand.

"You're right." I agree with him, feeling the warmth of his hand against my cold one.

"There shouldn't be."