Umbrella

March 22, 20XXSunday

March 22, 20XX
Sunday

"How'd the job interview go yesterday?" Jungkook asks me over the phone as I cross the plaza, in the middle running my errands.

"I was so nervous like no joke, but I hope that I get it. It's been a while since I graduated and now that Yejoon's a year old, everyone's been pushing me to get back to work."

I really need this job.

"What about going to vet school?" Jungkook brings up, causing me to sigh, "Will you really be going to school, working, and taking care of Yejoon?"

I roll my eyes up to the dark sky, the clouds telling me it was about to downpour.

"I don't know..." I twist my mouth around, "I think I'm going to have to hold off on vet school and just concentrate on landing the job at Winter Bear."

A drop lands on my head, prompting me to dig around my purse for my umbrella before there's more.

"Ahh...well doesn't that one dude work there? You know...the super tall dude you've been hanging around lately - cough - 

I pause mid-search before shaking my head and rolling my eyes. "Yeah, Yeah...Sungjae does...AND him and I are not dating. Besides, I'm...I'm still married."

I slur the last three words, hating how funny they sounded and also hoping they wouldn't stand out so much.

I was supposed to convince Taehyung to sign the divorce papers awhile ago, but I kept pushing it off. Before I knew it, a whole year had passed.

Jungkook clicks his tongue. "...Do you...uh... wanna know how he's doing?"

The crack of thunder makes me jolt, the rain suddenly scrambling down to the earth.

"Jungkook, I have to go. Say hi to Yeri for me, yeah?" 

I quickly hang up the phone, focused instead on finding a place of shelter. As I run, I can't help but feel a tiny ache in my heart, trying hard not to dwell too much on it.

Jungkook still was by Taehyung's side and I'm sure that he had lots to tell me, but I never let him. 

I just couldn't.

I angrily wipe my eyes, disappointed in myself for becoming upset. 

Laughing bitterly, I search in my purse again. "Where's that stupid umbrella?"

Suddenly, the rain no longer weaves through my hair or grazes down my face. feeling something loom over me, I look up, realizing that a stranger has placed their umbrella over my head.

I quickly turn to look at the person holding the umbrella, tensing up when I lock my eyes with a familiar pair of dark orbs.

I can't move, even though I want to.

I can say anything, even though I want to.

Instead, his stare roots me in place, making me feel waves of emotions as I'm transported back through each of the precious memories between us, remembering the pain I felt when I had to sever what was between us....because he no longer could remember 'us'.

Taehyung continues to stare at me, at least I think he does, I can't really tell as the tears start to cloud my vision.

This is what I was trying to avoid.

Taehyung clears his throat quietly, holding his umbrella closer my way.

"Should a storm appear..."

My eyebrows crinkle together, Taehyung's voice just barely above a whisper.

"...and a gentleman encounters a lady without an umbrella..."

He gulps, eyes still trained on mine. I look down, closing my eyes as my heart beats fast enough to leave me dizzy.

"...he shall offer her... his own."

Taehyung's fingertips gently pick up my own, guiding my hand towards the shaft of the umbrella.

I wrap my hand around it, watching his slowly slip away. I start to shake my head, trying to push the umbrella back his way, but he clasps his hands around my own tightly, pushing it back my way.

"Tha- thank you," I whisper, pulling my hand out of his grasp, feeling as if I got shocked.

He ducks his head, nodding, before taking a step into the rain, heading off in his own direction.

I stand still in disbelief for a moment.

It was just a chance encounter, Jennie.

Turning my head over my shoulder, I watch as the rain coats Taehyung's figure, eventually masking all around him until I couldn't see him anymore.

If things were different, I would've shut the umbrella and run over by his side...

because love is walking in the rain together.

But things were the way they were right now...

And I wasn't ready to join him for a walk in the rain.