Headlights

March 13, 20XXFriday 'Taehyung flashback'

March 13, 20XX
Friday
'Taehyung flashback'

I watch as the airport comes into view far below.

Quickly fumbling with my denim jacket, I reach into the pocket and take out my phone. 

I hold it against my racing heart, only one thought in mind.

I'm almost home, Jennie.

The minute the plane touches the ground, I disconnect from airplane mode.

Over and over, I swipe to refresh my notifications, but nothing from Jennie.

She's still mad...

I run my tongue across my lower lip, leaning over to quickly send a text as the others around me start to stand and take down their carry-on.

⇨ I'm on my way, please wait for me.

⇨ I'm going straight there, I promise. 

"Ready?" Irene stands by my seat.

When I look up, I briefly connect eyes with Sungjae who pushes past Irene, quickly boarding off the plane.

Sungjae...

Giving Irene a nod, I gather all my things, following after Irene.

I find myself quickly surrounded by a mob of cameras and people.

I freeze slightly, bringing a hand up to shade my eyes from the flashes.

Has news reached here that fast?

The crowd begins taking steps closer and seeing my path narrowing causes me to act and head out of the crowd.

Quickly bowing and muttering thanks, I make sure that I address all the reporters and people.

"Time for an interview?"

"Can we take a picture?"

No. 

I have to make it to Jennie and our baby.

"Please, excuse me." I repeat over and over as I make it out.

Irene's already been stopped by a reporter and the peace sign behind her back tells me that she's doing me the favor of distracting a couple.

Cracking a smile, I turn quickly on my heels and rush out towards the taxis. 

My phone vibrates as a notification comes through and I hold it up to my face as I walk.

It's a picture from Jennie. 

Quickly opening it, I see that it was sent earlier, but as I was on the plane it had just come through late.

It's a picture of our son, born healthy and happy.

Tears prick my eyes as I stare at the photo in awe.

That's where I need to be.

I snap back to my surroundings as more cameras began making it towards my face. 

Rushing away, I jog on the pure adrenaline of wanting to hold my son.

I wave a couple of taxis down, sprinting towards a far one, all the while texting Jennie back.

⇨  He's beautiful. He's everything that I could want in life. I'm sorry that I missed it, but I did it for our future. For us three. I exchanged those 5 minutes for forever and a lifetime.

To my irritation, more reporters start climbing out of the taxis.

I turn and head a different direction.

⇨  11:11 close your eyes and make a wish. I will be there.

I run over to what appears an empty taxi, but the driver tips his hat and apologizes as it had been occupied.

I halt on my toes just before it drives off. Bending over, I let out a frustrated sigh. 

I send out one more text before spotting a row of taxis across the street.

"Mr. Kim, Mr. Kim!" I hear a reporter behind me and I quickly step onto the street.

⇨ I love you, see you soon.

"Taehyung!" Irene's screech causes me to turn around quickly, mid-step.

 Something quickly shines from the corner of my eyes.

Then it all happens quickly, mouth parting and eyes widening, I turn my head and headlights are all I see. 

The headlights are all I remember...

Before I go down.