Chapter 9 - Hidden Truths

***Freed's p.o.v***

"What?!?" What do you mean you can't change back! Your – your stuck like that?" Evergreen stutters fearfully.

"So, you're stuck like a monster forever?" Bickslow questions, while he and Laxus look at me with eyes full of fear and shock. I look away from them, ashamed of myself. 'I never wanted them to know, . . . I never wanted them to see me as I really am, . . . a monster.'

"I don't see a monster." I turn around shocked. "All I see is Freed," Rachel finishes, looking up at me with a smile.

"What are you-" Evergreen starts.

"It doesn't matter how he looks or sounds on the outside, . . . because he is Freed no matter what on the inside and that's what really matters," Rachel smiles.

"Yeah! She's right," Bickslow shouts. Evergreen and Laxus nod in agreement.

"It's getting late, we'll have to look for the thieves again tomorrow. I have a feeling one of the thieves is responsible for this," Rachel explains.

"Well, we can't go to a hotel with Freed like this. It will attract too much attention," Evergreen points out.

"We'll have to camp out here then," Laxus responds.

"No way!?!" Evergreen pouts.

"But we didn't plan on spending the night in the forest," Bickslow comments.

"You guys don't have to stay here, I'll just -"

"No way Freed. We're staying out here with you. We're not leaving you alone. Don't worry about a thing guys, I've lived in the forest on my own for years. I'll make sure we'll be just fine," Rachel exclaims with a smile.

***Timeskip***

'Rachel was indeed true to her word. Rachel practically made us a gourmet dinner from what she found from the forest, and she even made soap out of herbs and leaves so Evergreen could take a bath in the nearby spring! I guess Master was right once again for us to have taken Rachel along with us,' I thought staring at a lake within the forest. It was the middle of the night and everyone else was asleep but me. 'They were kind today, but will they always be? Is what Rachel said about me true? Or am I . . . just a monster. . . They looked at me with such fear. . . Maybe, . . . maybe, I am just a monster,' I thought.

I heard a soft crunching of leaves behind me and turned around, . . . only to find Rachel standing there behind me. "Hey Freed, mind telling me what your doing up so late?" Rachel whispers softly.

"I could ask you the same thing," I say back.

Rachel chuckles before saying, "I woke up and didn't see you. So, I was concerned about you. What's bothering you Freed?"

I turn back to the lake and sigh. "I don't know," I mutter as Rachel sits down beside me.

"Freed, I know you know what's bothering you. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but if you ever need someone to talk to. . . I'll be right here," Rachel whispers softly, staring at the lake.

***Rachel's p.o.v***

Freed lets out a small sigh before whispering, "When I was young, I was on my own. I was a lonely orphan with magic too powerful for any child to handle. I lost control of myself. I couldn't control my magic. I ended up destroying my entire home village." Tears escaped his eyes as he continued, "I killed a lot of people. The people who cared for me had died and I was alone and scared."

"Sometime later, a man found me within the rubble." A dark look past over Freed's face as he spoke, "He said my power was magnificent, and offered for me to go with him. Scared, I went with him. I thought he was going to help me get rid of my powers, but . . . he did the opposite. He made me more powerful and more uncontrollable. He made me a monster and set me loose to kill and destroy everything." I glance at Freed with a look of sympathy as he continues to tell his story.

"Master Makarov happened to be passing through the same town I was attacking. He used his magic to stop me. He was probably planning on killing me. He thought I was just another monster, but then he was surprised to find a frightened child underneath it all. After he changed me back, I hid, crying scared. He offered to help me and took me to Fairytail. I have been there ever since," Freed finishes.

***Freed's p.o.v***

Rachel was silent for a moment after I finished my story before saying, "You're not a monster Freed."

I sharply turn to her to protest, "But -"

"No. Freed you're a kind, caring gentlemen, who cares deeply for his friends and is fully willing to sacrifice himself for his friends if need be. Nothing about you says you're a monster. A monster isn't someone who looks scary and isn't someone who is controlled as a puppet to kill either. A monster is someone who willingly hurts and kills on their own accord and feels no mercy or shame for it. That is a monster and that certainly isn't you," Rachel says darkly, staring at the lake. "You're a kind soul Freed. Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong. I believe in you Freed and I promise we will figure this out," Rachel whispers, looking at me with a soft smile. I stare back at her in disbelief at her kind words.

"Now come on. Let's get some shut eye. We'll need it for what's ahead," she says standing up and extending a hand towards me. I nod and take her hand.

As we walk back to our campsite, I couldn't help but softly smile as I stared after her.