Chapter 56: Turning Back

(play - love will find a way - a cover by Ashley Serena and shady)

The air around her was curling with smoke and people screamed as they ran for their lives. The Great Hall looked destroyed and all the benches were everywhere.

There were zaps of light and broken stones littered on the ground. The glass had been shattered, and all the students were crying and battling with dark wizards.

What happened to Hogwarts? What happened to her home?

"Hey, get away!" a gryffindor cried out to her as a death eater attempted to hit her with a blinding green light.

Suddenly, the fighting stopped and the death eaters transported outside where the students gathered together, looking solemn and sad. A crowd of people were huddled together, laughing along with a...

A creature that looked like a snake. He was prodding about, shouting, but Emily couldn't hear him that clearly. She stand out from the others as she was the only one wearing a pretty dress.

She moved out of the broken down hall and into the crowd of students. Emily walked slowly, absorbing the scene in front of her.

There was Hagrid, holding a boy in his arms and he was perhaps the only person she was familiar with. Emily fixed her gaze at the bald headed creature in front of her.

A platinum blond boy stepped up and Voldemort hugged him awkwardly. Emily looked carefully at him. He definitely looked a little familiar..

Without thinking, she walked forward too when a hand grabbed her arm.

"What do you think you're doing?" a boy with buckteeth hissed at her, "Are you insane?"

"Who is he?" she whispered softly.

The boy looked incredulously at her. "How can you not know? He's Lord Voldemort! Where are you from? Go back!"

Emily pulled his grip away and she staggered towards him. Voldemort averted his gaze from the limp body of Harry Potter to her.

For a moment, the anger and amsuemnt from his face was gone and it was replaced by a look of longingness and... Sadness.

All eyes were on her. The students shuffled nervously, but Emily wasn't afraid. That look vanished quickly and he watched her with slight amusement.

"Well, who might you be? Come to join the death eaters?"

Her voice was lost in her throat. She couldn't speak. This is... Tom. He sounded like an old man with a sore throat and.. Where's his nose? His skin was an unnaturally blue colour and his bones were sunken in. He looked terrible.

The sight of him made her teared up. What happened to her Tom?

"Well? Say something! Are you muted, girl?"

"I'm not muted. I just preferred not to talk to you," she finished the sentence and smiled.

The boy's dark brown eyes glinted dangerously. "Are you muted?" he asked, still in the cold, harsh tone.

What? How dare he say such thing? A bit angry, she allowed herself to speak.

"I'm not muted! I just prefer not to talk to you," she snapped back, but her voice trembled a bit.

That conversation when she first met him in the train. Voldemort's eyes were lost into hers.

"Who are you?"

She broke into tears and sobbed. He didn't recognised her at all...

"Get off me!" he snarled and pushed her harshly away. The crowd gasped and tensed at the sudden action.

"Tom.."

That voice rang in his mind. He hadn't heard it for fifty five years. And fifty five years is a very, very long time.

"You're a fake. How dare you knew about her, you -"

"I'm her. I came from the past to save you," she explained slowly, taking another step towards the Dark Lord.

"Lies. I can't be fool by your stupid act. I, am the dark lord," he said cooly.

Emily looked at the astronomy tower. "Do you remmeber that night, Tom?"

"Don't use my muggle name, you foolish girl!" he growled, taking the elder wand out from his sleeves.

"Please, Tom. I am Emily. I'm here to save you..."

"Enough! I shall end you. But don't worry, your death will be quick," he raised his wand and before Voldemort could shout the killing curse, Emily was a step ahead of him.

She took his cold hands and closed her eyes. That gesture was so familiar. He stated at her, furious, when she started to sing. Green shrubs popped up from the dry ground and everyone seemed startled and obviously very confused. The song. It was much more stronger after Emily had met her dad.

White flowers came out from the ground and bloomed brightly. Voldemort looked like as if someone had splashed water at him.

"Emily?"

She ran forward and hugged him tightly. "It's me, Tom, I'm back."

He smiled. He actually smiled. Some people cringe at the sight of it, but that smile belonged to Tom Riddle, and not cruel, cold , Voldemort.

"Please, please give up on power. You've hurt so many people, there's a chance to reverse it, Tom!"

He fixed his cold eyes at her. "Give up? But I came this far. Harry Potter is already dead!" he reannouced it, "And I am the greatest wizard of all!"

"Would you do it for me..? I want to have kids... I want to be with you. I want to spend my life with you, Tom. Please, I -" she gasped as a cut appeared at her arm. She was indeed running out of time.

"Emily!" he took her by the arms, "What's happening?"

"Please, give that up. We can have a life together..." her knees slit open once again and she dropped down onto the floor, her hands covered with her own blood.

He still looked unsatisfied. Voldemort looked around at the mess he made and suddenly, he didn't felt quite happy.

Then there was the sharp pain coming from her back. She pressed her hands onto the ground, feeling the wound sting.

"Emily, Emily," he took her face, "You will not die in front of me again."

"I'm sorry. I guess we don't really have a choice now, do we?" she forced a smile.

He looked at her sadly. "I -"

"Look at me, Tom," she take his face with her hands that had her blood dripping down from it, "I - I forgive you. You're always Tom Riddle to me. And Tom is the one that loves me back. He loves me back."

She collapsed onto the ground, gasping for air as the blade ran through the body. Voldemort looked at her and he pictured a lot of things :their kids, their home, the life that they could have..

"I'll be with you. Tell me," he took her small hands, "Tell me what to do."

"You know what we need to do," she took her wand out and he eyed it carefully. They looked at each other one last time.

"Expecto Patronum," they pressed the tips of their wands together and the whole place blasted light blue, the light blinding everyone's eyes as if an atomic bomb dropped down there. All was silent after that. Silent, but good.