Chapter 3 : Potions Goes Wrong

"WOAH! Look at this place!" Julia shook her arm violently, pointing at the daffodil curtains and the round fir wood doors that led to the dormitories

The fireplace had bright flames dancing and comfy butter yellow armchairs surrounding the place. Emily planned to spent her time doing homework there after classes.

The girl prefects gestured them to walk up the little spiral staircase and when she opened the door, Julia gasped loudly and grinned.

It was a comfortable, relaxing place. Four poster beds laid in a circle as the sun bathe into the round windows. The soft carpets embraced her tiny feet as she looked around for her luggage.

She sat down and Julia began unpacking her charcoal mid calf socks and tucked them under her beds.

Emily stared up at the ceiling. She really liked it, even better than the big, empty bedroom back at that mansion. She dig through that little briefcase and pulled out her azure blue nightgown and changed into it.

"Oh my goodness, where did you bought that? Its so cute!" Julia touched the fabric of it, smiling.

"Muggle shops," Emily pinched her cheek playfully. The other two girls glared at them, but took no notice afterwards.

"I'm tired,"Emily pulled the curtains to cover her bed," Goodnight. I'll see you tomorrow in the morning."

"That early? Okay, I'll go say hello to the other two," and Julia helped blew off the candles next to her bed. Emily thought of the classes and friends she'll make, and with a smile, she drifted off to sleep.

******
Emily panicked. When her eyes fluttered open, she jolted up from bed and looked around to see if Julia was there, but the whole dormitory was empty.

She quickly put on her black skirt and sweater, adjusted her tie, combed her thick and wavy hair and ran downstairs.

Emily hadn't paid attention to where she was going yesterday. She was too busy saying hello to the portraits that had yellow gold frames.

She wandered up from the kitchens, and randomly walked into different hallways that were sometimes very crowded or just really deserted.

Where was she suppose to go? She had forgotten about her timetable and where exactly is Julia?

Someone's footsteps came from behind. "Hello Emily. Lost?" Tom said in a low tone, hiding sarcasm behind his words.

Her cheeks flushed. "I'm not lost! I'm just going somewhere,"she denied.

"Really? Oh I just happened to be lost too. Could you guide me?" he smirked.

"I- Fine. I'm lost. I don't where I am."

He dropped his smirk and raised his eyebrows. "Come along, we're having Potions together," Tom walked forward to the narrow corridor just on their left. Emily sighed in relief and followed him quietly.

"Tom, how do you know your way?" she tugged onto his midnight robes.

He glared at her hand, then at her. "I've been studying before I came here."

She nodded. The lights in the dungeons were reflecting the bottom of the lake, turning the surroundings into a fern green colour, especially the ledgestone walls. Yellow lights danced in movement, just like the water.

They stopped at two large doors and smoke came curling in the gap of it.

Tom pushed past it and strolled inside, greeting the professor.

"Good morning, Professor Slughorn. May I help you with anything?"

Emily knew he had a way with words. They sound elegant, respectful, with no sarcastic or mockery hidden beneath it.

The plump man wearing tawny robes and a black tam hat looked up from his cauldron and smiled happily. Emily was expecting the Potions master to looked a bit grumpier and thin, but it was kind of the opposite.

"You must be Mr Riddle! And who did you brought here at this hour?"

"I'm Emily Vance,"she said quietly.

"Well, it's very nice to meet you! Take a seat, class is about to start."

She quickly moved to the back because she hated to be in the center of attention. It wasn't really her thing.

"Where are you sitting?" Tom asked her.

"Er, here?" she gestured towards the back, but he yanked her wrist and pulled the chair for her to sit like she was dining.

"Thank you," she muttered and he sat next to her.

The next hour was horrific. Emily had messed up loads of ingredients, and she put the wrong amount of it and bubbles appeared as soon as she put the roots into her potion.

It smelled bad. The others glared at her and Professor Slughorn shook his head in disappointment.

"Merlin's beard.. What is that?" he gasped. A slytherin girl behind her snickered.

"I can fix it, I promise!" she quickly said and Slughorn just nodded grimly.

Emily stirred a couple more times, tried some simple spells, cut another piece of old root and threw it into the cauldron. Nothing happened. She dig the wooden ladle into the bottom and - BOOM! the green liquid spread everywhere, dirtiying her robes and Tom. He looked surprised, then stared down at his own clothes.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

The others laughed and mocked her, while Tom just simply used a flick of his wand and his robes were fresh and new.

Emily hurried out of the classroom and searched for a girls toilet, which she found it quite empty. She turned on the silver tap and scrubbed her sweater with the running water.

How stupid of her. Emily sucked at Potions so badly that perhaps she'll be terrible at the others too. Was she going to be a failure?

Her fingers were red from scrubbing the woolen fabric and gave up. She walked out from the bathroom, turned left, and ran straight into Tom.

Her shoulder brushed roughly against his, and his friends immediately did the save the lord action. They pushed her, careful not to touch any of the slimy thing on her robes.

She stumbled backwards and bowed her head low. Emily's eyes started to water. Tom didn't said anything, but with a hand movement, the others backed away from him.

He muttered a spell, then the green liquid evaporated into thin air. Emily slowly looked up at him.

"I can help you," he offered.

"With Potions?" she squeaked.

"Yes. Yes I can."

She smiled. "Thank you - again."

"Come along if you want. I'm not going to wait for you," and he turned to leave. Emily quickly ran with her thin legs and clutched onto his sleeve.
From that day on, the only person she ever wanted to be with was him. She felt happy, wanted, and not being mocked all the time - well maybe sometimes by his friends and him, but there was no other boy who treated her well like Tom Riddle.