Chapter 6: Presents For You

"Emily wake up! WE'RE GOING TO BE - LATE!" Julia screamed in her ears and her body reacted quickly

"Emily wake up! WE'RE GOING TO BE - LATE!" Julia screamed in her ears and her body reacted quickly. She pushed herself off the bed.

Emily rubbed her eyes wearily, and mumbled, "What? Late?"

"Yes, you heard me right! Those two hadn't bothered to wake us up! What do they think we are? Some alarm clock? Heck no!"

Emily slumped her shoulders. How she spent half of the night under the sheets, with her wand giving the light to study her Transfiguration textbook.

"Yes - yes, I'll be quick."

Emily got dressed, combed through her hair with a wooden hairbrush, and charged outside, snatching a white loaf of bread from an elf. It looked up, a bit surprised.

Their backpacks swung violently as they ran, zipped past a couple of ravenclaws who were deep in conversation, until they reached the tall walnut doors.

"We're s-so l-late!" Julia complained quietly, breathless from all the excercise. Emily was no better. The heel of her right foot had turned abruptly with no warning while she ran. A sharp pain ran up her entire leg and she hobbled all the way.

"My feet hurts.. Agh," she bend down and pressed it with her thumb. Julia scrunched her eyebrows in concern.

"You're okay, right? If you aren't, let's go to the patron -"

"I'm fine, I'm fine. Come on, I can hear Dumbledore from the inside."

Julia went in and the loud echoing footsteps disrupted the class. The both of them apolagised quickly and Julia immediately found a spot next to a girl.

Emily scanned the crowd to look for Tom. This was the only class they had together for today, and every single time he had surely saved a spot for her.

Today was different. He had a girl next to him. Was that a new friend? Had she been replaced? How ridiculous of her to think that she was his only best friend!

"Emily..? Take a seat next to Jonathan, I'm going to demonstrate the spell,"Dumbledore smiled kindly and gestured his hand to the empty spot. She lowered her head in embarrassment and stole a quick glance at Tom. He didn't looked anywhere else except for the instructions given in that azure textbook.

Emily stared hatefully at Jonathan. He smirked at her, twirling his wand.

"Oh - I remmebered you. Haven't talked to you after that little incident. I mean," he snorted, "Why should I talk to you? Annoying muggleborns."

Someone do remind her why he was in Gryffindor again. How is he brave and loyal? He and his friends should probably join a new house - the git house? Emily suppressed a smile at that thought.

"What are you laughing at?" he said, a bit annoyed. Professor Dumbledore's voice had suddenly turned muffled. Emily clenched her small fists until it leaves her fingernails markings on the lower part of her palm.