Chapter 8: The First Valentine

January passed so quickly that Emily had to remind herself that it was already a month

January passed so quickly that Emily had to remind herself that it was already a month. She took her extra time to plan her notes, and listened to classes with all ears. She didn't want to miss a thing. Emily wrote a letter every single week just to keep in touch with her mother. She still felt a bit guilty not coming back, for Christmas was a special occasion for the both of them.

"Ugh, Emily! Get your cat away!" Rebecca shooed the fat persian cat away from her bed.

It had arrived on January the first, in a metal cage with a letter saying that it will keep Emily company if she didn't have any friends to talk to. Aunt Mary bought her the cat and was meant for Christmas, but it arrived a bit late.

"Don't hit Patty -"

"I wouldn't dare touch her! Much less hit her!"

Emily sighed and scooped the fat cat up on her bed. It purred and snuggled it's head to her stomach where it made itself comfortable on her lap. She stroked its white fur and glanced out the window.

"I think you're not allowed to have two pets, right?"

"I gave Pliny my owl to Tom, remmeber?"

"I mean," Rebecca glared hatefully at it, "it's an ugly beast!"

Julia crossed her legs while she chewed the cauldron cakes laid on her dressing table. "It's not that bad! It catches mice!"

"That's worse! You can hear those squeaky sounds in the middle of the night -"

"I'll send it out, okay? Just for night time."

"If that creature touches me -"

"GUYS!" Chloe slammed the dormitory, looking excited. She fanned herself, then grinned widely.

"What is it?" Julia asked anxiously.

"I'm doing something CRAZY! Oh my god - I'm sure you all know Tobias Wright!" she took a deep breath, "I'm going to write him a valentine note!"

Rebecca made a choking sound, "But you're eleven! We're still young girls!"

"Well, age doesn't matter, right?"

Julia shook her head in disgust and went outside to visit one of her gryffindor friends, probably to pass some important notes for the exams are getting more closer each day.

Chloe looked desperately around and her eyes landed on Emily.

" Emily! You're going to accompany me doing this, right?" she hopped on the bed, startling the cat as it hissed angrily at her.

"Wait, what? What do you mean?" she asked loudly.

"You're writing to someone to!"

"I c-can't do it!" Emily exclaimed, looking flabbergasted, "I've got no silly crush!"