Chapter 49: Return

Rebecca gulped down the drink with purple contents in it

"Hey has any of you -" she let out a scream as a stack of newspaper plopped down near her plate of waffles, startling her friends.

Her owl swooped away, gliding in the air while everyone peered curiously at the moving pictures printed on the thin pieces of paper.

"It's the daily propeht," Julia took it with her hands, "Let me read it aloud :

8 January, 1942

DEATH EATERS ON THE LOOSE!

On a cold, fine day, 6th of January, The group of aurors, led by Frederick Marshall, had came to catch hold of the little clan of 'Death Eaters'. They've been patrolling around Knockturn Alley for almost half the day, when the first movement was caught near a broken down shop. Two aurors were knocked down quickly, and the group was dispersed, causing the whole plan to fail.

"They didn't caught the terrorists?" Rebecca watched the aurors swarmed by people in the pictures.

"Hey, there's still more!" Julia brushed her fingers onto the page and widened her eyes.

"What is it?" Emily asked urgently.

"A young auror was found dead in one of the alleys, his arm was sliced off..." her voice trailed off. She grabbed the daily prophet from Julia and watched in horror as the picture revealed a young man with dark hair sprawled against the floor with shattered glass.

Her fingers had almost tore the paper apart, unable to put trust into the words that was printed neatly.

"I made up my mind, sweetheart. There's - there's a huge percent that I might not come back alive..."

Please no. It can't be true! He wouldn't simply left the world without seeing her for the last time... Or would he? Her tears threatened to spill out of her eyes. No. Not Connor. Not her boyfriend... She dropped onto the bench, staring into space. The newspapers flopped down onto the table of the Great Hall.

"Are you alright? Emily, I -" Rebecca shut her mouth as she saw the hollow look she was giving. She couldn't even process the situation properly. All her thoughts were jammed up and the only thing she could think of was his name.

The rest of the class was just terrible. She lost focus many times, and also earned herself a few detentions. Emily couldn't concentrate at all. All she could think was the memories they had, the moments they shared together, and how happy he was whenever he saw her. All of that was gone. Perished into ashes.

"Miss Vance! Would you like to repeat what I had just mentioned?" Professor Frenret spoke sternly.

Emily lifted up her gaze and the elder wizard was a bit shocked at her teary cheeks.

"I'm so sorry..." she mumbled, sobbing in defeat.

"I- you may excuse yourself, Miss Vance. Go clean yourself."

She nodded and hurried outside, pulling her robes tightly together and hung her head low. She was consumed with grief and sadness and each step she took weighed her down like a ton of bricks.

Emily headed towards the toilet, locked herself into a cubicle, and collapsed onto the tiled floor. She bit her hand to silence her crying, but the pain was still there. It hurt terribly.

More tears slided down her tear-stained cheeks, and she didn't bothered to wipe them. The other girls came inside and none of them noticed her sobbing or muffled crying. She sat there for so long until her thighs were starting to ache.

It felt like seconds. It felt like minutes. And it felt like hours. Emily's hand had a set of her own teeth marks, and thin lines of blood seeped through her fair skin.

She set herself up and washed the blood off her hand. Emily splashed herself with cold water and sighed softly. Crying indeed made her feel better.

By the time she entered the Great Hall, the students were feasting and talking happily. She felt so lonely.

Slumping down, her friends took concern and asked her about it.

"I'm fine," she replied, but her sorrow couldn't be hidden.

"If he's dead, why is his uncle standing next to Dippet?" Julia pointed at the man standing there, talking calmly with the headmaster.

Emily whipped around and to her surprise, his uncle was there. "But - but the newspaper said that -" she choked, "A young man's dead -"

"But Connor's not the only young man, is it? There could be loads of them, now that the chaos are increasing."

Rebecca shoved a chicken sandwich into her mouth. "I agree..."

The students filled up the space and the headmaster walked up to deliver a speech.

"As you all may know," he cleared his throat, "Our dear student, Connor Marshall, had joined the fight against the dark wizards and witches, and I would like to reward him for successfully capturing one of the strongest death eater.. Despite having no fighting experience."

Emily felt her heart jump. The sound of the doors creaked open and there he was - all alive and safe, smiling his lopsided grin.

The students clapped and he made his way in front, honoring the entire school. She felt a silver of pride as the world was lifted off her shoulders.

Her eyes stung at the sight of him. She stood up and their eyes locked. Emily didn't mean to just run like that, but as he did the same too, she couldn't resist the urge.

She crashed into him, balling her eyes out as she hugged his neck tightly, unwilling to let go again. He held onto her waist, planting kisses on her forehead.

"You're safe!" she cried through sobs.

"I promised that I'll come back," he said softly, "I promised."

"Don't you ever leave me again, Con."

"I won't."

The students cheered and wolf whistled at them. He got several slaps on the back and her friends teased her. Emily never felt better than before. He got in front, though she was rather unwilling to let go and received a gold medal that shall be placed in the trophy room in his honour.

She beamed. He beamed back, never taking his eyes off her. Emily made a decision. It was time to confront Tom, and if he refuse to listen to her... She'll do the right thing.