Chapter 39: Moonlight Waltz

Emily stared at herself in the mirror

Emily stared at herself in the mirror. She could see her own reflection, but the person in it seemed like a better version of herself.

She had her brown locks done into a dutch braid, and her pale complexion  stood out in her gown. Emily's cheeks had gone rosy due to the cold weather outside.

Emily had her blood red moccasin shoes on, clacking under her feet as she moved around. She spunned around and groaned as her back was exposed. She had never wore something like this before.

It was difficult to move in her ball gown. She wandered about in the hallways, trying to keep her steps small so she wouldn't tripped onto the hem of her outfit. Honestly, it felt ten times worse on your feet if you were actually wearing it.

The entrance of the Great Hall was swarming with people. Emily clutched onto the fabric of her dress, looking at the people joining up with their partners happily.

She descended the steps, walking quickly down the staircase, trying not to draw attention. But slowly, people turned around and the boys looked at her in amazement. The girls looked at her gown in envy, and she squeezed her shoulders tightly. Emily was probably late for the dance already.

Connor was just drinking a punch, back facing her. He was talking so loudly with Jonathan, who was looking at Julia from time to time. Her best friend had decided to go to the ball with a sixth grader, and much to Emily's displease, a slytherin.

"Hello.." she whispered, waving shyly. The expression of his face quickly turned. He had his mouth turned into a slight grin, loosing the grip on his cup.

Emily laughed softly. "Do I look alright?"

"You're so beautiful," he walked towards her, leaving his friend who was watching Julia bitterly with the slytherin.

"Thank you.. You're very good looking too."

"Shall we go?" he handed out an arm and she giggled.

"Sure.."

Before Connor opened the door, he lowered his voice till no one could hear him,"I forgot to tell you.. I saved the first dance. Just for the two of us. I managed to got it first."

Emily choked. "What? But- no! I'm not good at dancing - I'm going to embarrass you, Connor!"

"I don't care," he smirked, "We're doing this."

She squeezed his arm tightly and the doors swung open, greeted by hundreds of Hogwarts students. They all turned to look at the both of them, and immediately turned to loud whispers and gasping.

They made space, allowing them to go to the middle where a large circle was formed. The floor was polished until it was gleaming, and they felt slippery under Emily's feet.

There next to Professor Dippet, was the famous waltz dancer, Abelle Marchand. She looked at them with expectations, tapping the glass goblet with her delicate fingers.