Chapter 9: A Hug Of Goodbye

Weeks and weeks passed, and it became months

Weeks and weeks passed, and it became months. Nothing had really changed, and Emily followed her usual daily routine, studying and talking to her friends.

She watched the quidditch matches, wrote letters and spent her valuable time with none other than Tom. He would usually lectured her if Emily happened to daydreamed or did the same mistakes.

The weather today was chilly, and some older students went to Hogesmade to fetch drinks and enjoy themselves. The corridors were empty and deserted, with no one except some second years or first years wandering about.

Emily put one of her legs down the balcony. The both of them were sitting at the edge, scanning through some previous notes.

"Tom, how do you say it again?"

"Lumos. Pronouce it 'lu'," he flicked his wand in a swift movement and a bright light came out from the tip of it.

Emily watched carefully, "You made it looked easy, I -"

Mrow! Her cat came trotting to her, purring and meowing on the floor. She picked it up and stroked its body lovingly.

The animal made sure it kept a distance away from the slytherin boy across her, looking at it with little interest.

"It's afraid of me," Tom smirked amusingly at its terrified glance.

"But why? You didn't abused her," she jumped a little as it purred loudly in protest.

"Here, hold it," Emily passed the fat cat to him, which didn't move an inch, looking at Tom with its wide silver eyes.

He grabbed hold of its body and it meowed so soft that the surroundings had to be quiet to hear it.

Tom heaved it and placed Patty gently on his hands. It looked at Emily with pleading eyes and she had to laugh at its reaction. When her cat didn't like strangers, it hissed angrily and clawed at that person but it was different for Tom.

"Exams starts two days later. Fast, isn't it?"

Emily nodded. "Are you excited going home?"

He cast a hostile glance at her and she immediately muttered an apology. Emily still had no clue about his family background. He would snapped whenever she tried to ask about it.

Mrow! Patty snuggled against him and closed its eyes. It was getting comfortable in his arms, and he stroked it on the head with his long fingers, watching the cat sleep. It seemed to enjoy the smell of his robes.

"Good luck for exams! Could you - take care of Patty?" she pleaded.

Tom looked down, "Fine. A fat cat wouldn't trouble me."

Emily laughed and bid him goodbye, then she hopped away, her black leather shoes clattering against the tiles and the sound faded away as she went down.