Chapter 53: Sacrifice

The aurors surrounded her, their wands pointing at her

The aurors surrounded her, their wands pointing at her. Their leader had his wand out too, eyeing her dangerously.

"Well well... Do we have an answer?" he spoke sternly. He adjusted his cloak and challenged her to fight back.

"I - what are you talking about?" she spoke in defence.

"Don't act like you don't know.." he slashed his wand and a deep cut appeared on her arm. Emily winced in pain as a bead of sweat dripped down from her hair.

"Please, I don't know - I don't know!" she said desperately.

"Hm, yes. You don't know," he cast a spell on her and she felt her knees being sliced. Red blood came out of her wounds and she had to scream loudly. She sobbed as she writh in pain, curling herself onto the ground.

"Why Connor told us that you knew who the leader was... We suspect that you're in align with him."

"What would you do with him?" she whispered softly.

"Do you want to know?" he tapped his wand on his chin thoughtfully, "We'll torture him till he could barely move or walk anymore. Then we'll throw him into Azkaban, or perhaps, slaughter him to death."

"You don't have a chance," Emily said fiercely even if she was crying in pain, "You can't win him. He's powerful, he can -"

"Powerful or not, the fourty four aurors will definitely win against him. We had captured hundreds and hundreds of dark wizards and witches before. Do not underestimate our strength, girl."

For a split moment she had believed his words. These aurors had lots of experience, and perhaps Tom isn't as quite as safe as he thought he was.. She knew he was arrogant, therefore he - he'll be captured and tortured to death...

She will protect him. Give him enough time to delay his death.

"I won't tell you," she said firmly, clenching her fists, "You won't find him or even know him."

"Then so be it!" Frederick Marshall kicked her hard from the back and she could feel her weak bones split.

They left her there, while twenty of the aurors guarded her as she cried in the floor.

"Please help me..." she begged to one of the youngest auror, hoping that he would give her some sympathy at such a young age.

Sadly, he didn't care. The boy stepped on her fingers, pressing his rubber outsole of his shoe down harshly. She screamed and withdrew her hand quickly, blowing her injured fingers. One of her fingernails broke and blood seeped out of the cracks.

(please play 'I will always love you' by Whitney Houston)

Emily watched them looked at her. The leader and his lieutenant had been discussing something at the dining table, occasionally grabbing some food to eat. She felt her stomach growled. This was probably the worst situation that she ever need to be in.

Emily needed to escape. But how? A distraction would do. She felt her broken wand in her dress and she pulled it out. The aurors had got bored looking at the pathetic girl lying on the floor that they didn't saw her pointing towards the boulder.

"B-bombarda," she muttered and the explosion caused them to freak out. Forcing herself to stand with her trembling legs, Emily hurried past them to the doors.

Outside was raining lightly. She ran down the lawn to the empty street, and her whole body felt like collasping, but Emily sustained herself.

There were shouts and yells, but she kept going. Her knees were throbbing with pain and the rain stung her wounds.

She wiped her brow and she felt the back of her dress been sliced open, another line of blood dripping out of it. Emily couldn't do it anymore, and she landed on the hard brick road with a thud.

"Why would you save him?" Frederick Marshall questioned her as she breathe heavily on the ground, helpless.

"Because I loved him too much, a bit too much that the love overflowed and shattered! But the love's still there, isn't it?" she said quietly, her voice getting drowned out by the rain, "Of course he doesn't love me back. But I'll give him everything. Everything that I had."

The auror thought about it, "And what if I spare him?"

"You - you would?"

"Yes. But I will kill you slowly and painfully," he looked down at her, "Would you accept it?"

Fresh tears spilled out from her eyes, "Then kill me," she sobbed, "Believe me, love kills you entirely, whether you're alive or dead."

"Fine," the auror spoke softly, "I'll let you go."

She raised her head a little, "R-really? You'll let me go?"

"Yes of course..."

Emily hauled herself up and started running, running towards the direction where she knew Tom would be. But her hope was distinguished by a sharp stab in her stomach.

She widened her eyes as she clutched the silver blade through her back to the front of her stomach. Emily finally collapsed, curling herself on the ground.

The auror left her alone. He had lied to her. What makes her think that he'll let her go easily?

Emily cried. A flash of memories crossed her mind, so many of those beautiful moments...

"This is for you.. Happy birthday, Emily," he hung it around her neck.

"That's what I thought," Tom smiled at her as she slept on him like a child.

"Come with me," he took her hand and for the first time, he sincerely held it, lacing his long fingers with hers.

"But I preferred to call you... My Flower. You're my flower, Emily,"

"Do take care," he cupped her face and planted a kiss on her forehead, then walked off, his robes billowing.

"I've got notes for you. I'll hand it to you tomorrow.. Goodnight," he patted her soft hair and went down a floor.

Emily sobbed loudly. All of that... Meant a lot to her. She had still choose to believe that there was goodness in him, love...

All of that was gone. Would he missed her? Would he be sad? She wanted to know. Her ruby red necklace had fall off and it landed away from her.

Emily crawled to it and she took it in her hands. She always held it whenever she had missed Tom. She remmebered that night where they were gazing at the stars so clearly as if it just happened yesterday...

"I love you, Tom. I always did and always will... " she whispered softly, clutching the necklace tightly till it hurt her palm.

The sparkles and light left her eyes and was replaced by a dull, blue colour. She shut them and stopped moving.

The rain wet her hair, wet her wounds, washing the blood off till it was diluted around her... And she stayed there, not moving, as the heavy rain wet her dead body...