Chapter 12: A Choice

The first few weeks began and the stress that overtook her mind was starting to increase

The first few weeks began and the stress that overtook her mind was starting to increase. Her friends, Rebecca and Julia had began to make permanent rules for Emily, stating that she wasn't allowed to be with Tom. They had threatened her by putting their friendship on the line, and Emily had no choice but to agree.

"Listen to Connor! He's telling the truth! Perhaps charming boy isn't at all charming!" Rebecca threw her a pillow.

"Tom isn't bad!" Emily said in desperation, catching the fluffy thing in her arms.

"He is! Come to think of it, I realised that he's suspicious all the time - how come you've never felt it?"

"You don't have prove!"

"Don't you see, Emily? If something happened to you, we'll all be in trouble! Riddle will do bad things to us!"

"He won't - I'll tell him not to!"

"Please! For the sake of us, alright?" Julia spoke softly.

She sighed. "Fine.. But I don't know if I can do this for as long as you want me to. You don't understand how hard it is, to not look at him whenever I passed by, and to not talked to him whenever I had a chance to do it! Im struggling with almost everything, and my Potions! I haven't had any idea what the lessons are, just - urgh!"

"It's going to be okay," Rebecca comforted her.

"I wished it would."

******
Emily couldn't sleep that night. She stayed awake, watching the leaves rustled outside the windowsill and felt her stomach growled. She barely ate anything before she went to bed - and her thoughts were swirling.

Emily missed him. She walked past him, without casting a glance and didn't make any eye contact. She hated doing it, but her friends had persisted her. She still liked Connor, even if he started all this ridiculous thing. What was she going to do?

Emily put on her robes and tied her hair into double french braids because they were rather messy. Slinging her backpack over her shoulder, she slouched as she walked outside to bump into Connor.

"Oh, Er, hello! Didn't see you there - you don't look too well. Everything alright?"

"Hm? Oh yes, everything's fine -" and her eyes quickly flashed to the right side of the corridor. Tom was talking to a girl, and she quickly handed him a little present which was probably meant for something.

"Emily?" he waved a hand in front of her.

"What - oh, yeah, everything's fine.."

"You don't look fine to me," Connor pressed the back of his hand on her forehead. Emily blushed at his sudden action.

"I don't have fever," and lowered her gaze to his outfit. It was hufflepuff's quidditch robes, the colour of butter yellow and soot black together.